How to root a vine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neviawen

Reaction score
Hi,
I am asking a question for my mother in law. Her brother has a piece of property that has a small vineyard grown on it from the previous owner. He has no clue how to grow grapes or what to do with it but offered to let her harvest the grapes or even find a way to transplant some of the vines or take a piece of it to grow on her property if we figure out how to do it.
Does anyone know how to start a new grape vine from a fully grown grape vine? We hope to may be take a few snippings of these vines and start a new vineyard on her property if it is possible. Any ideas?
Thanks for any information you guys can provide.

Any idea what the vine is? It could be own-rooted or a grafted vine. If you plant own rooted and there is phylloxera in the area, the vines will die after a few years if you root without a resistant rootstock. If it is just a common grape like Concord, Niagara or some other American variety, it can be own-rooted. Find that out and we can certainly tell you how to root the cuttings and how to take the cuttings. If I get more time today I will tell you how to do it anyways.

She says that they have no clue because they do not know the previous owners and the neighbors do not know what was grown there. They said that the grape itself is large, dark, sweet and juicy when you pinch it. I suspect it might be concord? Sounds more like a table-type of grape rather than a good wine making grape. If I can get over there I will take pictures of the grape vines and perhaps we can identify what type it is.

If you really like the grapes from it, then you could propagate it. If you just don't know, I would just buy a few vines of the kinds you do like either for eating or making wine out of. Most are eady to root if it is worth it, but it is just as easy to root a new vine you like as it is one you have no idea about.

Latest posts

Back