How to know if wine has cleared/needs to be retransfered

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt6765

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,

I started making a one-gallon batch of pomegranate wine in late December. The instructions on the recipe stated that the transfer from the primary container to the carboy should happen after one to two weeks when the specific gravity reached 1.050. Mine started at 1.100 and reached 0.995 in a week. Although slightly perplexed, I continued the process and transferred the wine to a one-gallon carboy. It has been around a month now, and the wine has settled; a one half-inch layer of sediment has formed. The wine does not seem to be as clear as commercial wines, and the recipe states to "siphon again to aid in clearing if necessary." Should I do this, and how do I know when to bottle? Also when bottling or transferring, how do I prevent the settled pulp from getting into the cleared wine? This is my first time trying to make wine, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Matt

If there is substantial amount of sediment as you said I would rack (transfer) again. Also try to be patient for it to clear up. It may take a while or you may have to eventually use some kind of clearing agent to help drop out all the rest of the sediment.

My opinion is to get winery sparkle is to filter after your wine is pretty clear already.

If there is substantial amount of sediment as you said I would rack (transfer) again. Also try to be patient for it to clear up. It may take a while or you may have to eventually use some kind of clearing agent to help drop out all the rest of the sediment.

My opinion is to get winery sparkle is to filter after your wine is pretty clear already.

Is there a certain technique used to prevent settled particles from being stirred up while transferring again? Also, what kind of wine clearing agent should be used or does it not matter? Thanks!

I find splash racking done "carefully" using a vacuum pump helps prevent involuntary stirring of the sediments. In my experience, when I use racking cane with gravity racking I always seem to stir the heck out of the bottom. But it could be more due to my clumsiness...

Thanks for the reply!
Another question: should I add a Campden tablet to the wine after I transfer it? Would this also be the time to add the clearing agent?

Back