How to Get help lifting heavy carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie1

Reaction score
I came up with a way for my wife to help carry carboys when they are full and very heavy to lift from the floor to the counter top. 2 handles
smiley1.gif

20080315_175317_CIMG1560b.jpg

The Brew Hauler straps work pretty well too...and you get a little higher lift on the carboy with the straps...a little better if have to go up and down stairs like we do..
smiley14.gif
Edited by: Bert

I've done both and for a two person haul, the brew hauler strapes are better. keeps your legs out of the path of the carboy.

Just make sure to also have hands on the bottom of the carboy as it is a lot of stress on the neck of the carboy with those handles, they are cheap but the hauler is a much safer way to go. the weight of the carboy with the wine in there has to be around 60lbs.

I ask Jim to lift the carboys on to the kitchen counter....It works every time...
smiley4.gif

Get yourself a JIM...
smiley27.gif

We have a handle on each carboy...but...one came with a warning as to NOT lift FULL carboys with the handles.....So Jim moves the carboys with the handles ....then grabs the underside of the carboy and the neck and lifts it onto the kitchen counter...

Anyone ever had issues with those carboy handles?????
Wonder why there is a warning on the package?????

I wondered about the straps? Is it just made for a 2 person lift or will the straps come together so one person can lift it?

I have been using the handles for 6 years and have not lost a carboy yet.

I've posted a picture of these before. These crates are no longer used by the local bottled water company and I bought a half dozen of them. The drawback is that they fit 5 gallon glass carboys. They sure work great for not only carrying carboys but for protecting them as well.

100_1370.jpg

Thanks for posting your photo again....
The crates that milk cartons come in work for the 6 gallon ones too....and...if your cramped for space you put another crate on top you can stack other stuff on top of it.

Whats in the barrel????

I am new to making wine but made alot of beer years ago and always used glass carboys. My winemaking kit came with a glass carboy. A winemaking friend of mine told me about the "BetterBottle" and I have two of them now. Even when full they are light and easy to handle. I love 'em. I have a bad back and I can carry one up a flight of stairs when it's fullwith no problem.I can't do that with the glass carboy.
You might give one a try.
By the way Okie - I'm in Tulsa also.Edited by: Griffster

Northern Winos said:
Thanks for posting your photo again....
The crates that milk cartons come in work for the 6 gallon ones too....

Whats in the barrel????

Northern, my smooth unribbed 6-gallon carboys are too fat to fit these crates. The ribbed 5-gallon 'boys fit like a glove.

My barrel has gone through a conditioning process, with a few wines through it for different times and I now have a blackberry/burgundy/black cherry that's been in for two months. I'm about ready to rack it out of the barrel and immediately replace it with a Cellar Craft LE Red Mountain Syrah I now have in a secondary. I just received another barrel from the same source a couple of weeks ago but I haven't begun using it yet.

Back