How many times can I re-pitch a stuck fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NashChic

Reaction score
Just over a week ago I started a mist-type kit that I've had for a year or so. The included yeast (Super B or something like that?) had a BB date of November 2015. I knew I might be pushing my luck, but I pitched it anyway. Starting SG of 1.060, temp 72F. Day 3 I had good, foamy fermentation at a steady 72F. At 7 days I figured I was ready to go to secondary, but when I checked my SG it was about 1.040, temp still at 72F. So I grabbed a pack of Lalvin EC-1118 from the fridge and re-pitched. After I pitched it, I noticed that it's BB date was December 2015. That was 2 days ago and I have no signs of fermentation. I will note that both times I sprinkled the yeast on the must, waited 15mins, then stirred. I did not rehydrate or make a starter. The temperature shouldn't be a problem, so I'm guessing it's the aged yeast packs.

So my questions are... Should I try again with fresh yeast (which I have - EC-1118)? Would a different yeast be better in this case? Would it help to make a starter? Am I risking any off flavors? Or would that even matter with something that has a big, sugary f-pack anyway?

Any suggestions or experience would be so much appreciated!!!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Maybe check with another hydrometer 7 days it should be lower pending on starting sg

When you sprinkle on top , I was taught not to not stir it in.
No ?? Till it started fermenting

Bill

Last edited:
The protocol that I used (and worked) was to start another container, add 1 gallon and give it the proper nutrient (ferm K), do a proper starter with go-ferm and then feed it 1 gallon at a time as the brix drops to 3 (1.01), add another shot of ferm k about 1/2 through. I posted the exact process on the forum.

wpt-me: I've done it that way too, but the instructions for this particular kit said to sprinkle, let sit 15mins, then stir. In the future I'll probably ignore anything that says stir after pitching and wait until day 2 to stir.

NorCal: I'll look up that process in the forum. I'll have to check, but I don't think I have any ferm K or go-ferm on hand. I'll grab some today. Do you think EC-1118 is a good yeast to try to restart with? Or is there something better?

sour_grapes: No, just a regular hydrometer.

Has anyone restarted a fermentation at day 10-ish? Good results? Bad results?

Thanks to all!!

Latest posts

Back