How long to ferment dry?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Similar concern here. Sorry to intrude on your topic, but I figured it would be more obnoxious to start another thread on the same issue. I pitched my yeast on Easter Sunday. Starting gravity was 1.098. As of this past weekend it was only at 1.010. I transferred to secondary at 1.040 as the instructions directed; that was a couple of weeks ago. The temps have fluctuated between 65 and 75 degrees, while mostly hanging in around 70. I know secondary fermentation slows down due to less oxygen, but should I be alarmed by the rate?

As long as it is still fermenting you should be ok. If it isn't, I would probably rack it back into the primary, rack the lees back in with it so you keep all the yeasts in withit. I would warm it up to 75 to 80 degrees and see if it takes off again. If it does, back in the secondary til done. If not you can add another shot of yeast to get it going again. Make it with a good starter, tho, and add some of the must to it to get it acclimated to its new enviorment before you pitch it in. Arne.

Back