How long should I leave before drinking?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goranmagdic

Junior
Reaction score
Good morning! After receiving a kit for Christmas, I've so far made a gallon batch of plum, red grape juice (from cartons) and pear. How long would you suggest leaving them after bottling to be at their best? Cheers!

"Country" or "fruit-other-than-grape" wines seem to have a shorter post-fermentation 'life-span' than grapes (which is why grapes have become the wine standard over the centuries). Typically, you should wait at least a month or so to let the bottles 'settle' enough to avoid "bottle-shock", but after that, drink up! Fruit wines generally don't improve beyond 6 months to 1 year, and often begin declining before the 2nd year (after fermenting). Of course, the exception proves the rule, so there are always wistful stories of 'I forgot about this one bottle of strawberry wine I made 8 years ago..."

Actually I find most of my fruit wines age pretty nicely. I have many that are over 10 years old now and tasting great. My strawberry, on the other hand, was insipid from the beginning and never got any better. :)

I have found the same as grenginND I find that in many fruit wines in order to get an alcohol level to provide good storage the alcohol masks the fruit a bit until time mellows the heat of the alcohol. and allows it to bond with the fruit to bring the fruit forward. the dryer the wine the more this seems to apply. 6 months in the bottle are the bear minimum in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back