HOW DO YOU BOTTLE YOUR WINE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are kind of Low Tech up here at Hamann Hills...
We rack from the carboy into a bucket with a spigot, attach a hose and gravity bottle filler [the one that doesn't have a spring]
I sit on a stool and fill the bottles....I have the bottles cleaned and sanitized in baskets next to where I sit, in arms reach.... I have about 3 bottles in a large cooking pot at a time as I fill them....As I fill the bottles I put them into another cooking pot...[saves knocking them over and spilling any onto the floor]
Jim has the corks ready and he does the plunging of the corks.....While the next bottle fills I hold the Gilda Corker on the center of the bottle and Jim drives the cork down, he then places the full bottle into a plastic crate sitting next to him...grabs another cork and is ready for the next bottle...
It's like an assembly line. As fast as the bottles fill we have one corked. We can fill and cork 5-6 gallons of wine very quickly...as fast as it flows from the spigot.....We often do a whole batch without stopping....then we 'dispose' of any leftover wine in the appropriate manner...
Have heard a lot of grumbling about the Gilda Corker, it works great if you have 4 hands available, 2 to hold and center the hole, one person to plunge. We use #8 X 1 3/4" corks and rarely have any melfunctions....However.....we can not use any bottles with flange tops...and some that have a bit larger top don't seat right with the cheap-o Gilda's mouth...so we select our bottles carefully. I hold the Gilda, center it, and Jim drives the corks home...it works great for us....
Low Tech...but it works for us.
smiley4.gif

Northern Winos said:
Have heard a lot of grumbling about the Gilda Corker, it works great if you have 4 hands available, 2 to hold and center the hole, one person to plunge. We use #8 X 1 3/4" corks and rarely have any melfunctions....However.....we can not use any bottles with flange tops...and some that have a bit larger top don't seat right with the cheap-o Gilda's mouth...so we select our bottles carefully. I hold the Gilda, center it, and Jim drives the corks home...it works great for us....
Low Tech...but it works for us.
smiley4.gif

I loved my double lever corker, and wish I hadn't sold it. It also works well for a 1-(wo)man production line:

Hold the bottle between your feet, and go to it.

It worked like a charm.
smiley1.gif

This is how we do it up here on De-Range at Hamann Hills...

First, gather your goodies....

20060808_125012_1_Good_Stuff.jpg

From our Low-Tech storage units....

20060808_125058_2_Tops_Caps_Cor.jpg

Rinse the bottles with the high pressure faucet washer, then in One Step...

20060808_125153_3_One_Step.jpg

Rinse with the faucet washer...

20060808_125255_4_rinse.jpg

Then in Sulfite....

20060808_125409_5_Sulfite.jpg

Then to our Low-Tech drying racks...

20060808_125508_6_Drying_Racks.jpg

Then Sanitize your other stuff...

20060808_130355_7_Sanitaion.jpg

The clean supplies...[NOTE..the hoses hanging over a door knob....said we were Low-Tech up on De-Range]...

20060808_125720_8_Clean_Stuff.jpg

Then get the wine ready for racking....this is apple wine that we are going to ***sparkle***...

20060808_125820_9_Apple_Wine.jpg

The rack to a bottling bucket...

20060808_125904_11_Racking.jpg

This is my Bottling Station....Clean bottles in arms reach, cooking pot to keep bottles from tipping and spills off the floor, another pot for the ones ready to be corked...

20060808_125943_12_Bottling_Sta.jpg

Today we didn't use corks on the wine....we used the plastic Champagne stoppers and wire hoods...

20060808_130043_13_Bottled.jpg

All done....just the waiting for the bubbles to form left to do...well there is the shaking of the bottles for 2 months, then the Riddling for 2 weeks, then settling, dègorging and then wait for the bubbles to reform....then enjoy!!!!...IT'S WORTH IT!!!
smiley4.gif

Edited by: Northern Winos

OldWino said:
I see sparking going here.  when did you add the extra sugar?

We mix 1 3/4 cups of plain white sugar with 2 cups of boiling water..... let it cool and add it at the same time as the rehydrated yeast just before bottling...keep stirring while you bottle to keep the mixtures in suspension...
smiley1.gif

See Pictorial How to Discussion
SPARKLING WINE

http://www.finevinewines.com/Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1206

IT IS WORTH ALL THE EXTRA EFFORT....Give it a try...
smiley4.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

Latest posts

Back