How do you attach your labels?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I print all my labels at work on the color laser printer using regular paper, then just cut and glue stick. I've been using the boiling water method for the shrink wraps with good success, but I always apply the label afterward to avoid water damage.

Peace,
Bob

I tried the avery labels but I fear they adhere too well. DO they come off easily? Also, I'd use a heat gun if I had one too.....hair dryers just don't get hot enough.

Avery labels go on easily and slip off with warm soapy water with no leftover adhesive. I've used them for years.

I print my labels on a sheet of 1 3/4 x 1/2" Avery Easy Peel labels and then attach them to the shrink cap. No glue to the bottle and easily removed.

I like this idea!

I've been using avery laser labels. No problems, but sticking a label to the capsule sure would shorten the bottle soaking time.

At work, UPS gives us reams of free sticky back paper for printing shipping labels. I run them through the color laser copier/printer and cut them out.

As for the shrink capsules, I tried the hot water, but water got in the little vent holes in the top. I much prefer my wife’s hairdryer.

Al Fulchino
You must have meant to post this somewhere else cause it doesn't make sense in this thead .Nice little winery though .

For me since I only do kits I buy them donr up nicely for the type of wine I'm doing then peel & stick or wet the back with water to stick them on .The shrink caps I use my electric kettle the top lifts up so I just stick the bottle neck against the edge and slide it in so keeps it in place .Next time I'm going to try the hanger idea to see if it works any better for me .

I use this to do my shrink wraps.
HorzCapsular.jpg

Heat Guns for Heat Shrinking

I used to fly R/C model airplanes and needed a heat gun to keep the wing covering tight. The heat guns are not really all that expensive and are great for heat shrink tubing, drying off wet clothing spots, warming up something that is cooler than you want it to be, or even shrinking the shrouds on wine bottles.
Sure, boiling water works great, but with a heat gun all you do is plug it in and go. Most heat guns have a fan setting to cool the nozzle down when you are finished.
You can probably find a heat gun at your local hobby shop or craft store. If not, try eBay... if that is not sucessful try an online hobby shop like Tower, Hobby People, Hobby Lobby, etc. You will be glad you did.

yep...wrong place..that is weird..i was trying t post in a topic that asked if anyoenhad wine cellars.....oh well

thats what I thought so didn't want it not to be read in right place .

I take the easy way out. I produce any size label I want in Windows Publisher, download to a flash drive and go to Kinkos. They print while I wait and you don't have to worry about running out of ink or the ink running when it gets wet. I found it hard to believe too, but it's true. It costs about sixty cents a page for 8 1/2 X 11 sheets. I take them home and cut them on a cutting board (X-mas gift) and use spray glue from a hobby shop or Jo-Ann fabrics. I put the labels face side down on old drawings from a steel fabricating shop. (they throw tons of these away)I'll use an old mitre box to set the bottle in so that I have something square to line up the label.
I too use a heat gun. It came from Sears. I think I paid $20 for it. (some time ago) I used to use Avery labels, but I didn't like being restricted to a particular size, always seemed to have trouble with the printer printing exactly on the label, then the ink would run unless they were coated and never liked removing Avery labels either. With spray adhesive, they are very easy to remove.

I use 32lb. hi gloss laser paper in my inkjet printer. It gives a very good white background if you don't use color over the whole label. I also use milk and apply it with a 1/2 in artists brush. Easily applyed, easily removed, looks good and easy to do. I cut it with a $10 paper cutter from Staples.

Anyone looking for a good heat gun for shrink capsules Home Depot has Milwaukee heat guns on clearance at half price. About $35. This is a high quality gun if you were ever looking for one.

some great tips in here, thanks for everyone that posted, I'll def have to try this out in the future

Back