How can commercial wine cost under $3 a bottle?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. No wonder the commercial California wines are so cheap. Nothing grown in Virginia goes for less than $1000 a ton. At least nothing I've seen.

Wow. No wonder the commercial California wines are so cheap. Nothing grown in Virginia goes for less than $1000 a ton. At least nothing I've seen.

Do you buy your VA grapes by the ton. I buy by the lb and and the best price I can get is $1.50/lb although the most I buy is only 150-175 lbs. I can get them cheaper from Cali but I just want to make VA wine. Where in VA are you and if you don't mind my asking what vineyards do you get you grapes from?

LOL, we’ve been down this road before! So you can rest easier, think about the varying degrees of “prior”..... One second before is prior, so’s a day, so is a week. Proper defines prior, so it’s the proper amount of prior planning. Planning your fall grape delivery a day ahead of time probably means you’ll be missing some needed items, that’s not proper prior planning. You buying this line of thinking? It’s really all I got......

I always like to say "Previous, Prepatory, Preceding, Proper Prior Planning, Plus Patience, Prevents Paltry, Pitiful, Piss-Poor Performance."

(Blush) I watch the VA Vineyard Association classified page. I don't buy grapes by the ton, yet. I'm planting a vineyard and either will sell grapes or buy to supplement a winery. By watching this forum, I've decided there is a market for hobby winemakers to buy several hundred pounds at a time.
I'm just east of Fredericksburg but my vineyard is/will be about 30 miles north of Bristol. So far mostly hybrids but maybe vinifera when I know more. Some hobby winemakers can wrangle small amounts of grapes or juice from the commercial vineyards by striking up friendships. I gleaned some Cab Franc this year. Could have picked quite a bit but didn't have the capacity.
Not the answers you wanted. Sorry.

(Blush) I watch the VA Vineyard Association classified page. I don't buy grapes by the ton, yet. I'm planting a vineyard and either will sell grapes or buy to supplement a winery. By watching this forum, I've decided there is a market for hobby winemakers to buy several hundred pounds at a time.
I'm just east of Fredericksburg but my vineyard is/will be about 30 miles north of Bristol. So far mostly hybrids but maybe vinifera when I know more. Some hobby winemakers can wrangle small amounts of grapes or juice from the commercial vineyards by striking up friendships. I gleaned some Cab Franc this year. Could have picked quite a bit but didn't have the capacity.
Not the answers you wanted. Sorry.

I follow the VA Vineyards Assoc also and get their updates regularly. I was able to buy cases of bottles for $5.00 a case because of it. This time of year they are selling shiners and bulk wine which not being a licensed winery I cannot buy, nor would I want to. I'm up in NOVA and have a few sources for grapes. This year my VA wines were Viognier, Petit Manseng, Tannat, Petite Verdot and Norton. So it's $54.00/lug but I know when they were picked and what the numbers are before I buy them. The Cali folks are much luckier than we are.

I'm still piddling with little batches of wine, trying to learn, trying to keep a few vines alive, planning ahead and trying not to panic. I'm heading to the Hudson Valley this weekend to see a few places and try a few Baco Noir and Chelois wines. I'm on the hunt for that perfect hybrid that rivals a vinifera.

I'm still piddling with little batches of wine, trying to learn, trying to keep a few vines alive, planning ahead and trying not to panic. I'm heading to the Hudson Valley this weekend to see a few places and try a few Baco Noir and Chelois wines. I'm on the hunt for that perfect hybrid that rivals a vinifera.
If Norton grapes will grow in your area,you might want to try Crimson Cabernet. Cross between Norton and Cabernet Sauvignon. There are a few places around Missouri growing it, you might have to commit to an acre of vines. The wines are very tasty and I think it rivals some Vinifera wines.

I was real excited about Crimson Cab until I discovered I had to commit an acre and they are green potted, not dormant. I'm not equipped for green cutting planting, yet.

Latest posts

Back