How are wines named?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kracker

Reaction score
just curious because because after we bottled our first batch which came out superb my wife asked if I was going to name it, but knowing nothing about wine names I had no idea lol

Names are picked at random. What ever you want to call out will do.

That is a great question.. Mead and beer makers frequently use all kinds of names that tell you nothing in any literal way about their fermented product but suggest something about how it might taste or how you might feel when you taste it. Some wines in this forum have also been given names that tell you very little about the content (Skeeter Pee? Dragon's Blood? ) but other wines have simple names that point to the fruit used: Elderflower, Banana, Chocolate Raspberry.. IMO, the name for any wine you make is up to you. I am making a mead I call The Magic Roundabout and another I named Dark Matter, Dark Energy. I have a hard cider I labelled "3". I think the only considerations are that no matter the name, you know how to make that wine again and if you have a rack full of creatively named wines you know what is in each bottle.

I try to match names with the fruit and the type...
like peach blush,blackberry bordeaux,strawberry zinfadel, etc..

that way my freinds know...its a blush made with peach, are a bordeaux from blackberrys....

works for me....

just curious because because after we bottled our first batch which came out superb my wife asked if I was going to name it, but knowing nothing about wine names I had no idea lol
When I first started making wine we lived on Winchester Rd, so we called our winery "Winchester Estates". Don't recall really discussing it much, we just kinda liked the name.

So if we made a Merlot, it was called "Winchester Estates Merlot". A Gewurztraminer was "Washington Estates Gewurztraminer".

Steve

well we live in Adlers Cove, In Covington. i think I like those names :r

Check out the 'Post your Labels Here' thread - as you will see, labels and names can come from pretty much anything!

Have fun!

Two Cats Winery might need to revise, a nice stray showed up and the animal lover (SWMBO) took her in.

I would say that wine names usually stem from the winery that produced the wine, the persons that own the winery, or the location of the winery.

good examples would be

chateauneuf de pape
Charles Krug
Modavi

etc.

But this is not a hard, fast rule, but does seem to be a bit of a trend. Call the wine whatever you like. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet..

I would suggest scoring some points by naming it after your wife.

no wife here but have a few lady friends...maybe i should boost there egos.
betty are brenda blackberry
amyapricot
petrapeach
mindymulberry
darladragonblood
and lets not forget mandysmango,and stephaniestrawberry.
lol, this thread kills me....

Back