Honeysuckle wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niamhmanners

Junior
Reaction score
hi everyone

This is my second batch of wine this year (previously i made lots of wine with my partner who always took the credit!) so i thought id give it a bash alone this time.

I was hoping for a bit of advice on my wines please.
my 1st batch is dry elderflower champagne, I made it on wednesday 17th of june, It was in the bucket for 10 days, and moved into a demijon where its been since, The bubbles began to slow about 4 days ago so i tested with a hydrometer which told me my wine had finished, I tried it and it tasted only about 5abv so i decided while it was still particually fermenting, to add another 3lbs of sugar to 4 pints (2 from each demi jon) and add back in, anyway thats ok thats bubbling away again nicely.

So this is what id like help with...
I decided id go a bit nuts on sunday and chose to forage a few things to make wine with, ended up putting it all in one bucket and hoping it tastes nice!

5 cups Honeysuckle flowers,
15 Elderflower
200g Riasen
4 Lemon
10g Wild strawberries (only enough to tint it with flavour)
5g yeast
5g nutrient
5 liters water
1.5kg sugar

Now thats bubbling away a treat, but im worried something will go wrong with it because of the 2 yeasts meeting? My wine yeast, and the natural yeast on the elderflower...
Also, does anyone think the concoction of flavors will work? Has anyone made honeysuckle wine and what flavor does it give?

Thank you!

I was hoping for a bit of advice on my wines please.
my 1st batch is dry elderflower champagne, I made it on wednesday 17th of june, It was in the bucket for 10 days, and moved into a demijon where its been since, The bubbles began to slow about 4 days ago so i tested with a hydrometer which told me my wine had finished, I tried it and it tasted only about 5abv so i decided while it was still particually fermenting, to add another 3lbs of sugar to 4 pints (2 from each demi jon) and add back in, anyway thats ok thats bubbling away again nicely.

Let me just focus on the first wine for now. Can you tell us what the specific gravity was (a) before fermenting, (b) when you first decided it was finished, (c) after adding the additional 3 lbs of sugar?

Hi
I forgot to measure the sg first sadly so that makes it tricky for me.
The airlock went down to a bubble every 2 mins and hydrometer measured the wine at 1.000. It was nice tasting but tasted somewhat dilute.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back