High Starting S.G.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAMROD

Reaction score
Boy this site is getting massive, I read the hole site the night I joined think it would take a couple of days to do that now! Well I have just started trying my hand at the fruit wines but my initial SG is pretty high. Should I just add water or just let them eat?

3 gal. Banana SG 1.116 @ 74 deg.

1 gal. Con. grape (frozen) SG 1.110 @ 74 deg.

1 gal. Tea/Peach SG 1.118 @ 74 deg.

The 5 gal. of Pear was 1.100 @ 76 deg. and is down to .990 @ 71 deg. but tastes like rocket fuel to me right now. So I am thinking I should dilute these others. What do ya'll think?

I think I would dilute Ramrod unless you are wanting some really sweet wines. How much sugar did you add to your must? As a rule of thumb I usually add less than the recipe calls for and add more if needed to adjust my SG.Edited by: Waldo

I'm with Waldo, Ramrod. I would dilute at least down to 1.100. If not you will have a very heavy alcohol wine likely with residual sugar (very sweet). I have found thatkeeping the fruit wines to about 1.090 to 1.095 will produce a wine with enough alcohol, but not so much that the fruit flavors are overpowered.

Funny, in the very beginning I thought the more alcohol the better
smiley4.gif
, but I quickly realized what the higher alcohol content did to the taste of the wine.

Good luck!

Ramrod,

The yeast that you use will have a large part in the residual sugar. Both 1118 and 1116 are capable of using all the sugar that are in your musts. You will wind up with 14-15% alcohol and it will take longer in the bottle to smooth out and not taste so "hot".

OK What would you say add a half cup of water at a time to the gal. and a cup at a time to the 3 gal. then check sg after each addition.

I have already added the yeast and they are eating fiercely so any suggestions on what amount I should add to each.Edited by: RAMROD

What are your SG targets for each batch?

With the initial SG you suppled with volumes I could calculate the amount of water needed to bring down the SG to your desired range even if the fermentationhas started.

OK I have to leave till Thursday for managers meetings so I added about 6 cups to the 3 gal and about 3 cups to each of the 1 gal.

Had two 1.5 liter bottle of water put one in the 3 gal and halved the other in the 1 gal's.

Don't have time to clean and sanitize so I didn't check SG will check it when I get home will keep y'all posted.

Based on my calculations:

3 gal. Banana SG 1.116 @ 74 deg.

added 1.5 L of water = 1.103 SG

1 gal. Con. grape (frozen) SG 1.110 @ 74 deg.

added .75 L of water = 1.092 SG

1 gal. Tea/Peach SG 1.118 @ 74 deg.

added .75 L of water = 1.099 SG

Guess that will have to do thanks alot Masta onlytime will tell now.

Back