Hey from Magnolia Texas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herbenus

Reaction score
Newbie. Been using forum for weeks for help. It is probably the best resource on web, not withstanding the help videos and articles.

I started out simple, to better ensure early success. I have a VR Zinfandel bottled, waiting impatiently. In a couple of weeks I'll be bottling a MV Gewurstraminer. And I just bought a 2 gallon fermenter and am thinking a gallonfrom frozen strawberries and thenone banana.

By next summer I should be an "expert". That's when I'll be harvesting pears, wild blackberries, and muscodine from my place (and might try some passion fruit).

Biggest problemI have is temperature. My "wine closet" seldom drops below 70-72. I did some research, but there is no cheap fix. Fermentation is fast. I'm guessing that aging might also be accelerated, which may or may not be good.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help I know I'll need, and thanks for the help you have unknowingly already given me.

Welcome to the forum, we're looking forward to your adventures.
VC

Welcome! Don't worry too much about your warm wine closet. I know a couple of people in the Tampa area who have been making wine kits for years with good results.

This was a topic of grave concern for me as well. I was ready to put in the cooling unit and rebuild the closet into a room. ... But wait...

The most important item is not so much the temp (70-72 should be more than fine...Think Grocery Stores) but the temp fluctuation, keeping the wine from expanding and possible exposure. This should store and age wine fine in the 5-10 year range. If you want longer than you may consider the cellar.

My friend in Austin, after he retired, downsized homes and lost the wine cellar, he now uses a closet in the back room, he told me he opened several 96's with only one bad.

Welcome!
I'm new here too but from what I've read so far, a stable temperature is more important than optimum temperature.
As long as the temp isn't dropping and spiking all the time, you'll be alright.
You gotta adjust fermentation time for temperature surely, but once you have it down, you'll be A OK.

Welcome Herbenus. You will be fine with the closest temps. Just enjoy the process of making the wines and then enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy~ And let us know how things are going with your kits.
smiley32.gif

Welcome aboard. You will find a load of help and information on this forum. Good luck, John.

Welcome to the Forum - you are not alone in having less than ideal storage conditions, but we carry on anyway!
smiley36.gif

Welcome! This is a great place to learn and share. Remember, pictures are aways welcome.
smiley1.gif

Welcome to the forum. As you have already noticed, there is a wealth of knowledge right at your fingertips here. I have the same wine closet problem you have. Not much choice until I am able to build my mansion with all the ammenities for my wine making. Like that will ever happen!!!!!!!!

Back