help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterCooper

Reaction score
My Beautiful Mango Apple is ruined, unless someone can come up with a cure.

I got ready to bottle this afternoon, only to find that the top of the lock was off, mold in the lock and a wisps of what look like thin cotton wool in suspension. I'm sure I have a mold problem.

Took a taste and the taste is fine. There are no off odors but....

Can it be rescued? I'm thinking I have two choices.

1. Start again and throw this lot out.
2. Heavy dose of K-meta and refilter.

Thoughts?

So, instead of waiting I threw in 1 tsp of K-meta and stirred. All the wispy stuff is gone (like 10 seconds of stirring)

Could it be something from the mango that's just diffrent?

It sounds like the cotton looking stuff could be a lactic bacteria. A pic would be helpful. Are you using straight water in your airlock? I always use heavily sulfited water ( the same strength I use for sanitizing). If this is lactic bacteria it is harmless. You can get rid of it by sulfiting and filtering.

Don't toss the batch!!! Especially if it tastes and smells fine!!!

Posta pic if you can,

PeteEdited by: paubin

I can't post a picture. I've already tried to fix it.
It might be a lactic B. that I just caught early. I'd been looking at the carboy at regular intervals .

Anyway I added the K-meta and stirred. I'll leave it a few days and check again.
Edited by: peterCooper

Peter,
I had something that might be similar, except along with the wispy threads my lilac wine is hazy (the whole story is posted on the general wine site with topic "specific gravity residue"). I thought it might be pectic haze, although on the winepress site, Jack Keller actually posted and said he thought there wasn't enough "pectin" in lilacs to cause that. Perhaps that might be part of your problem though...?

(By the way, the lilac is STILL hazy and has a white film floating in the neck of the 1 gal carboy -- when gently shaken, the surface "drops" those wisps of cotton wool -- having spent 3 years in the Midlands I know what "cotton wool" looks like!)

Dave

Two days and everything is clear. The wispy nasties have gone away. I'm almost through filtering and (after another dose of K-meta) I plan to bottle.

I have 12 clear bottles that I am going to use as tests to ensure that they don't come back.

I added a tsp of K meta and stirred two days ago. I added another tsp into the primary as I was filtering. I'm thinking this should be enough to keep it clean for EVER.

Edited by: peterCooper

Saladdressing. Just pass it off as salad dressing.
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back