Help with apple wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckE

Beer Brewer
Reaction score
I brew beer regularly but I'm a wine neophyte. I got the idea of doing ApfelWein from HomeBrewTalk.com.

Any advice to better the wine would be appreciated.

It starts with 5 gallons of normal, off-the shelf apple juice. 1 pound of cane sugar is added, then 1 package of Cote Des Blancs wine yeast. It all goes into the primary at the same time, an air lock is added and it sits on the floor in the house for 3-6 months. The ambient temp is 65-76 degree F, depending on the season.

The wine is racked to an improvised container, shown below.
assembly.jpg

The container has a faucet at the bottom and the top allows a CO2 blanket to stay on the wine as it's removed. It usually takes 2-4 months to drain the container.

The wine comes out good with a decent apple flavor. The CO2 blanket gives the wine a slight effervescence without being carbonated to the level of keg beer.

I know- some of you are probably cringing with horror at my technique.

Any suggestions to improve the apple wine? Should I use a secondary? (I stopped using a secondary with most beers.... and sorta ASSUMED the same would go for wine.) Regarding the improvised container, I don't want to bottle it.... just too lazy. I've tried using a cornie keg, but prefer much less carbonation.

Thanks-

Looks good :) I tried apple Wine back in Jan. I Boiled red delicious apples from a local apple orchard. I added cinnamon sticks after primary fermentation, I bottled after 3 months its crystal clear and was a big hit at family gatherings. taste just like apple Jacks the cereal .. Good Luck

-Gervais

I don't see any issues with what you are doing. What is in the glass jar to the far right of the photo?

I don't see any issues with what you are doing. What is in the glass jar to the far right of the photo?

Beer yeast slurry... probably hefeweizen.

Another question- would there be a problem leaving the apple wine in the primary for up to a year? Or, at what point should I transfer to a secondary?

Def. Want to transfer in When you can into secondary. You dont want to just let it sit in the primary.

Hi been making apple cider wine now for 6 months comes out like fume blanc very nice all around wine dry smooth. I usually rack once. Then drink half out of the refer. and bottle the rest my wife and I can easily drink a bottle a day super simple, cheap,and good quality about 2.00 a bottle plus I don't a preservatives so it is very easy on the system. Love it! I like that you don't bottle it just drink it and make more yes!

Latest posts

Back