Help with 3 y/o transplants

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellawell

Junior
Reaction score
I purchased three 3 year old Cabernet Sauvignon vines. They came with several canes making their way up from the short cut trunk, so I pruned them back to one cane and used those prunings to root.

But my question is what to do with all the new buds that just started showing up? I need to grow some height to these plants but I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the various locations that buds are showing up. Do I let them all break for a while to get some sun into the plant or should I choose one or two to continue on. And if I choose just a few, which ones? I numbered them to make it (hopefully) a bit easier to mention which ones.

Attachments

• vine3.jpg
    vine3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 74
  • vine2.jpg
    vine2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 75
  • vine1.jpg
    vine1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 70
This issue is impossible to answer properly unless you describe your expected training method.

If these were planted from pots, and if you want to train to one of the wired vertical methods, then get some stout stakes, and hammer them into the ground by the vines, and bind the current cane to them veritably to get some upright growth.

If these were planted bare roots, then I would cut back to just two buds to give the roots some stimulation to set themselves to grow. Over cropping the canopy with a weak root system is not a good idea.

Last edited:
As @balatonwine says, depends on if potted or bare root. Either way, you only want two buds to shoot, from as high up the trunk as you can, where it is at least a pencil in diameter. Pinch off the ones from down at the bottom like 2 and 3 in the second picture.

But, if bare root, trim off to the main trunk as Balatonwine says and just keep the two top buds.

Get stakes in to train the shoots to, don’t let them lay on the ground.

They were bare root. So from what you say, in vine1.jpg, you would trim the right diagonal wood off and go with shoot number four?

If they were bare root, I’d prune back to two buds as close to or on the main trunk as possible. Get a stake in the ground and train the shoots up to your fruiting wire. If they make it by fall you are good.

Vine 3. Jpg. I’d pinch off 5, prune 1/2 in, 1 cm above 3. If 4 comes on strong prune off 3. Vine2.jpg: I’d prune 1/2 in, 1 cm above 1, pinch off 2 and 3.
Vine1.jpg: I’d prune to the right of the bud that is just above you 4. Let it and 4 go, pinch off anything else that grows.

In the end the goal is to choose one strong shoot, close to the current main trunk, and train it up. Pinch off anything else that shoots from the trunk. I tend to leave two on young vines the first year It gives an opportunity for doing a dual trunk, and insurance against breaking one off by accident.

If in doubt prune back! Grapes are very resilient any you will pay dearly if you just let it go.

Back