Quantcast

Help! My wine smells like glue!

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

blumentopferde

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2012
Messages
240
Reaction score
33
Hello winemakers!
As you can read from the heading, I have a very severe problem with one of my wine batches: It smells intensively like glue, so I guess that somehow I got too much Ethyl acetate into it.
I have heard that the only way to get this scent out of the wine is to boil it up to 77°C, which is supposed to be the evaporation point of ethyl actetate... But that temperature would spoil most of the taste, so I wonder if there are any gentler methods to correct the wine? Do you have any suggestions or experiences to share?

Apart from that I really wonder how I got this flaw into the batch. I made 3 batches of 3 different grape varieties. All harvested at the same time, all treated the same way, with the same instruments and the same yeast and 2 of them are perfectly fine, while one is flawed... Also, the wine seemed perfectly okay the last time I checked it - that was about 2 weeks ago and the fermentation process was almost over at that time. If it was bad grape material or bad yeast that caused the flaw, shouldn't it have been noticeable much earlier in the fermentation process? Do you have any ideas what else could have caused the flaw?

Kind regards,
blumentopferde
 

blumentopferde

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2012
Messages
240
Reaction score
33
I added 0.01 grams per liter every time the must had contact with oxygen.
That was directly after crushing, directly after pressing and before racking. I racked the wine 3 times so far, so in total i added 0.05 grams SO2 per liter.
 

blumentopferde

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2012
Messages
240
Reaction score
33
Well, if there is nothing I can do, then I will just experiment. I will try the tannin adsoption agent Gerbinol Super, the activated charcoal Granucol GE and maybe the adsorbtion agent Sensovin... All these agent claim to reduce off-flavours. I will also give the thermal treatment a try.. Let's see if any of this works!
 

NoQuarter

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Joined
Jun 25, 2020
Messages
79
Reaction score
102
Location
Florida / Georgia line
I had the same problem several years ago, I reasoned the most likely cause was my temperature got high during fermentation due to a power outage over a few days. Was not too bad but noticeable. I went a little heavy on sulfites after some splashing and it did dissipate over a few days. I was able to save it but it was average at best. Good you did 3 separate batches, sad to loose 1/3..... Good Luck.
 
Top