Help Me with my home network!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masta

Reaction score
I need some assistance with an home network issue I can not solve and it is really bugging me. I spent a good part of the today searching for a solution and can't find out what is wrong.

I recently bought a laptop so now I have 3 machines including 2 desktops.

I set up all 3 three with the network setup wizard and I can see all the machines on the network from each individual computer.

The host PC has the printer attach which is what I really want to access from the other two...also batch sheets from the laptop which will be used manly downstairs in the heart of Valley Brew.

From the laptop and other desktop I can see the host machine on the network but when I try to get to it or add a printer I get a error message saying I don't have permission!
curse.gif

I have the printer set up to share also....

The configuration of the system is:

Internet to Cable Modem to Router to all machines running Windows XP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am very frustrated I can't make this work!
banghead.gif
Edited by: masta

Assuming that you have the network cable plugged in being that you see all other connections. In your local area connection properties, you have all items check marked? Did by any chance forget to "install" changes? If all is good, hmnn....Did you try running "Network Trouble Shooter?" I never went into Admin Settings...? I need to check. Oh, did you try "Add a Printer" and see if you get a response? This happened to my other computer and it solved the problem.

I would lastly try the "Network Diagnostics" scan feature before calling the Computer Doctor." Sorry I don't know how else to help!Edited by: Maui Joe

Tried all of that and for some reason there is something blocking access to the main/host machine.

When I bring up the printer and shares files on the host machine it shows they are connected to the network.

Damn this sucks....

I justedited... trying the "Diagnostics Network Scan" feature.Did you try this as well? Edited by: Maui Joe

Are you running any firewall program such as McAfee? I just set up a wireless network at work and I can see all the machines from every machine (3) I can print from the other 2 to my machine. I can not print to my wifes machine and get an error like you. Hers has the McAfee firewall and security program. I haven't tried shutting it down yet though to actually see if this is the issue.

. I only say this as this machine is the only one that has this program, the others don't and I have no problem accessing them. I think the firewall is blocking me. I have a wireless network here at home as well and every machine just popped up and I had not problem printing to my printer on my desktop.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

Thanks to Smurfe and Maui for the help on this one!

After another search on Google I finally found the solution to my problem. I also forgot to mention that my two desktops are running XP Home and the laptop is running XP Pro.

Bottom line is that XP Home has issues and I would suggest to anyone that is thinking about buying a new computer to spend the extra cash and get XP Pro instead of XP Home as it is worth it.

Here is the solution to allow access from the network:

Note: I copied and pasted the command lines below as trying to type them in wasn't working!
Logon Failure <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>
<DIV style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center ="Msonormal">
<HR align=center width="100%" color=white noShade SIZE=1>

If you have win xp home edition, this is the only way to get over the problem as the local settings &amp; security policy are not available in Administration Tools.
As far as I know, user rights policies applies to WinXP Home as well, you just don't have a builtin GUI tool to see/change them.

You should be able to set/remove those privileges with the Windows 2003 resource kit command line tool ntrights.exe.

Ntrights.exe is in the free Win2k3 resource kit:

Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=4544
or
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&amp;displaylang=en
The kit will install on WinXP or later.

After installation, click on: Start, All Programs, Windows Resource Kit Tools, Command Shell

Then enter the following commands. (Attention: they are case sensitive.) Copy and Paste as it is easier

net user guest /active:yes
ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest

The first command enables network access for Guest, the two subsequent ones change two different policies to allow network access for Guest.

Note: run the application on the computer the resources of which you are not able to access.<O:p></O:p>

hahha, love that smiley! You don't know how often I have done the "Please let the network work" dance in similar situations.

I know you have it fixed, but.... you might also want to check out the IP addresses if something ever gets mixed up. Also, we recently had a big PITA with our network cards themselves. We have about7 machines (laptops, desktops, servers, pocket pcs) that all have different network cards. And of course, they are all different in setting them up.

Anyhow, I guess you don't need that bit of info now, since you got it to work, but enjoy the wine anyway.
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back