Help! I’m gaseous

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug’s wines

Making (or Drinking) Wine
Reaction score
Well at least my wine is :). I am doing an en primuer Grenache Syrah. I finished the kit a few months ago. When I degassed then, it volcanoed. More gas and foam than any other I’ve done (only 8 to date). This was my second kit and I didn’t know to keep degassing multiple times, so I mechanically stirred for about 30 minutes following instructions and called it done. I then bottles it at the 48 day mark. Opened a bottle a week ago and had a nice head on my wine :(.

To remedy, I dumped the batch back into primary, and mechanically stirred resulting in a LOT of foam. Now I’m going on 2 days, 7 times stirring, using a vacuvin to pull a vacuum twice. Still a huge foam up every time. I’m beginning to wonder if I have something else going on. Anyone else have experience with this kit or similar to give me a sense of if I’m on the right track here?

SG at 73 degrees is .997

If there’s anything at all I’ve ever learned with situations like this, it is to LISTEN TO YOUR WINE!
Not the instructions lol. The wine is very much telling you it is not ready for the bottle yet. You’ve degassed like a wildman already. Get the thought of ‘getting it back into the bottles’ out of your head pronto. Let it be for a while.
Don’t force it. I’ve found myself not taking my own advice before and vaccuvin’ing 30 bottles at midnight during the week -working like an a**hole- all because I didn’t listen to the wine. I planned to bottle that night and threw logic & reason out the door.

There are many things learned over the course of each and every batch we do. But the best lessons? The ones we remember forever where we are fully confident that we know what to do?
....... The best lessons are the ones learned the Hard Way! That knowledge is earned from the winemaking school of hard knocks.

.997 at 73F is more like .999 or 1.000 if hydrometer is calibrated for 60. The wine was possibly not done fermenting when bottled. I would have expected that kit to finish at .993 or lower.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm listening and I feel like it's telling me that I'm going insane :h .

What I'm really wondering if this is something other than residual CO2. I'm reasonably sure it isn't fermenting as I stabilized and SG is still around .997 where it was when I bottled. I'm wondering if I have an SO2 problem,but don't have a way to test. Also trying to figure out where to go from here. Whether I keep stirring until it stops foaming then rest for a week and rebottle or just leave it alone for a few months and see what happens....

.997 at 73F is more like .999 or 1.000 if hydrometer is calibrated for 60. The wine was possibly not done fermenting when bottled. I would have expected that kit to finish at .993 or lower.

Maybe, but SG hasn't changed since t was bottled and none of the corks were pushing out. I will monitor SG ever day and see if it moves at all.

If you Stabilized then you are likely fine, still doesn't sound as dry as that kit should be. I don't think it is SO2, I would bet CO2. If it was me, I would add 1/4 tsp kmeta and bulk age in the carboy for a couple of months.

If you Stabilized then you are likely fine, still doesn't sound as dry as that kit should be. I don't think it is SO2, I would bet CO2. If it was me, I would add 1/4 tsp kmeta and bulk age in the carboy for a couple of months.

Thank you for the recommendation. I am leaning that way.

I don’t think Moving a few ticks from .997 wouldn cause foaming as you describe. Nothing would cause it aside from co2.
If your breaking your stones to remove it and it still present then just let Father Time step in and finish the job for ya. It is a 100% certainty that the co2 will release over time.
Just keep it properly Sulfited and rack it every few months. If mine id just wait 3 months - rack - and re-assess. Manual degassing is not my thing. An unnecessary step to rush a process that shouldn’t be rushed. (Unless using an AIO vacuum pump-where vacuum degassing is a byproduct of every transfer)

I don’t think Moving a few ticks from .997 wouldn cause foaming as you describe. Nothing would cause it aside from co2.
If your breaking your stones to remove it and it still present then just let Father Time step in and finish the job for ya. It is a 100% certainty that the co2 will release over time.
Just keep it properly Sulfited and rack it every few months. If mine id just wait 3 months - rack - and re-assess. Manual degassing is not my thing. An unnecessary step to rush a process that shouldn’t be rushed. (Unless using an AIO vacuum pump-where vacuum degassing is a byproduct of every transfer)

Thanks for the replies. I was looking for a sanity check and I think I have that now. Going to give it some time and see what happens.

This is a very good wine! I have bought it a few times. Let age as mentioned and then rebottle.Patience will pay off in the end.
I've had a wine that did the same when opened. I put back in carboy for a few months watching SG. The SG never changed, but the foam disappeared and the wine turned out great!
* before racking to carboy I poured the wine into bucket and degassed with my favorite drill

Ok. Revisiting this thread for an update. I did this kit with a friend and told him what was going on. We split the kit 14 bottles each. He opened one of his bottles prepared to dump his batch start degassing and ..... it was still. No gas. Everyone of mine was gassy and foamed. Only difference was he bottled about one hour later than me otherwise it all came from the same equipment and process. We used starsan as the sanitizer. I’m wondering if I ended up with extra starsan in the wine, or something else.... ultimately I degassed 10, and the wine Finally slowed in the amount of foaming, it’s under airlock now and tasting less acidic. the investigation continues.

Back