Mosti Mondiale HELP!!! Alljuice Concern

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I racked and degassed the Pinot tonight. Lost my kitchen sink's disposal unit in the process.

WARNING: DO NOT PUT OAK CHIPS DOWN YOUR SINK!!!!

I wasn't thinking and dumped the lees, chips included, in to the sink. It took me a second to figure out the sound. Well, now it doesn't work. It just sits there an hums....not good. For now I unplugged the power and will attempt to take it a part another day.

I thought I would have enough extra wine to top off with, but it looks like I'll need about a fourth of a bottle of commercial Pinot to top off the carboy with. I'll do that tomorrow.

Now she sits for 4 months...

Sorry to hear about the disposal. I have to use a strainer when cleaning out carboys too
smiley17.gif

For topping, unless you just want a bottle of Pinot form the store you could use some marbles too.

Joan, S02 levels have nothing to do with degassing. In my opinion, unless you have an electric vacuum pump there is no way to pull too much C02 out of your wine and most people dont get enough gas out and dont find out till bottled and then have to rely on decanting for a long time.

ithink, if you still hear a hum from the disposall it is not broked, just jammed. If you look on the bottom you will see a place for a hex key that should have come with it. If you don't have that you can unjam it with a broom handle.

After it is unjammed UNPLUG IT and reach in with your hand and take the oak chips out by hand.

When I wash a carboy that has oak in it I dump it in the sink in the laundry room into a collander to catch the chips.

I would advise disabling the breaker to reach in there as there are usually light swithes very close and sometimes its just a quick instant where you need a little more light and that would not be good. I do a lot of electrical work around this old house without shutting od=ff breakers but when working on something that would shred your hand in an instant I veer towards the safer side. A little 110 volt jolt is a little easier on the system then 110 stitches to hold your hand together. I agree with peter on the fact that it can be fxed easily. Ive mulched op quite a bit in my sink monster( What i call it when my kids are around) such as the oak you speak of and lemon seeds and even did a good job on a few spoons. Its missing a toooth or to n=but the monster lives on after a few wrenchings.

The Disposal Lives!l

Just back from the local HW Store with a Disposal Key. Went back and forth a couple times. Plugged it in and flipped the switch to hear the lovely sound of the disposal!!!!
smiley4.gif

Whooohooo!!! Congrats!!

MY PN is under the powers of my brake bleeder! I will bulk age when it's out of gas!
smiley4.gif

I may have missed this part in the thread earlier so I apologize if I repeat something said/answered before.

In regards the overflowing primary bucket: I had on do this on me early on and I now attribute it tothree factors when fermenting strongly. The over flowdoesn't occurany longer to me but my process is very different now than it was 2 short years many buckets agoso here's my two cents for what it worth, hope it helps.

1) Cover on: When the primary has a cover that is on the surface tension of the must is lessened so it can rise in the bucket, climbing up the side and out the airlock. When I ferment with a towel over the top (standard primary procedure forme) I've never had the must of a strong ferment climb up and over, I think the lessend pressure and fresh air allows the bubles to pop as I do get some must splash dots onthe underside of the towels I use to cover my primary. The yeast needs plenty of oxygen to ferment well so I find it odd to use an airlock on the primary.

2) Yeast pitched on top: I definitely have documented that when yeast is sprinkled on the top of the must and not stirred the must does foam up. I either sprinkle on top and then site one it is bloomed or I'll bloom the yeast and then pitch it in. I do stir the yeast/must 2-3 times daily during my primary fermentation eah and every day. This circulates the yeast/oxygen/sugar for a complete fermentation and they ususally finish up within 7 days nice and dry the last 2 days. I only add yeast energizer or nutrient to the must iffermentation has not started within 12 hours.

3) Temperature: I ferment my read on the warm side and this definitely does jack up the must foam producing actions. I do keep it between 75 and 80 for the bigger reds and 70 and 75 for the more delicate reds light a Gamay or Pinto Noir. Make sure if you are buying fresh juice buckets that you let themcome up from refrigerated temperaturesbefore pitchingyour yeast or stirring up the yeast at the bottom of the buckets that they ae shipped with. This stirring of the buckets will also drive off excess sulphites that the juice buckets are shipped with that keeps the yeast and nasties at bay. Open air fermentation releases sulphites and carbon dioxide allowing oxygen to join theyeast party.

Hope this helps and happy fermenting!

Okay, so I was planning on bulk aging this wine for a year, before I bottled it. However, last summer I had to have back surgery. Not fun! All wine making came to a stop.
smiley6.gif

Well, I FINALLY bottled this wine last night. A-MAZ-ING! Tastes great! One of the best wine's I've made so far.

Just had to share!

Latest posts

Back