Help, About to start 1st blackberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one of those cheap yellow PH meters. I don't have solution to calibrate it so I need to find another liquid to use. I'm off to google to search unless someones knows what I can use.

OK, after reading I found that vinegar should be 2.4 and milk 6.5-6.7 and it could be a little different depending on the age of the milk.

I used the vinegar to calibrate the meter at 2.4 and tested the milk at 6.3 so I'm close enough(maybe).

The must is bouncing from 2.9 to 3.0. Does that sound about right?

From the chart posted, frozen blackberries are 3.1-3.3 or close to it so I should be good.

I have the PH at 3.4, added sugar to 1.080 and pitched 71B yeast.

Thanks for the help and I'll post if something goes wrong!

Forgot to mention I also added Fermax and nutrient to help the beasties get going.

This morning it's smelling like yeast and fermenting good.
100-5453.jpg

LOL, it's close but I think I'm safe. There's actually about a 1/2" of foam on that, it settles some when I stir it.

All is well, 3 days and the SG dropped to 1.040. It did foam up and touched the towel I had over the top yesterday but it seems to be settling down now.
100-5454.jpg

The SG was 1.000 yesterday so I racked into jugs to let clear and racked again this morning. It looks muddy but I guess since I used bentonite that's expected. Racking into a clear container sure made it easy to see the sediment. The SG is still at 1.000 and there's a little activity moving the airlock. I did clean out the jugs and rack back into them.
100-5465.jpg

100-5466.jpg

100-5468.jpg

100-5469.jpg

It's been a year sitting in a carboy and I racked again today with a little sediment. The taste is good and a little dry for me but I haven't sweetened it yet.

I need some direction at this point. I want to split the 3 gallons and make Port. I also need to know if I should add anything at this point and how I should sweeten it.

Here's my log for reference.
Blackberry wine log.JPG

Attachments

• 20200910_085646.jpg
    20200910_085646.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back