WineXpert Heading into Stability

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovinewines

Reaction score
Okay...its day 10 of secondary fermentation of my Riesling.

My hydrometer reads 0.990. Adjusting for temperature it's 0.992.

Question... 0.990 is as low as my hydrometer goes...any lower and I'm off the scale.

Does this mean I need to get a diiferent hyrometer? At this point, with it being this low, I can't imagine its going to change much between now and tomorrow when I'm supposed to take the second reading and start the stabailization process.

Me thinks you have reached ultimate dryness! Desert Riesling!
26_16_2.gif

I dont think they make a hydrometer that goes lower!!!!!!
7_2_115.gif

Perfect..and I couldn't resist trying it. I'm pleased to report that while its rough, my pallete definately appreciates where this will be 6 months from now!

Not out of the woods yet...but we're getting there...thanks to you and everyone else who has been so patient and kind!

smiley32.gif

Wade you gifs are a nice add to your posts.......Ramona

You are doing great with the hydrometer!!! bovinewines

Wade, years ago I acquired a narrow range hydrometer (sometimes called a bottling hydrometer) that measures specific gravity from 0.980 to 1.020.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Bovinewines, you don’t need another hydrometer. I can’t remember ever measuring a specific gravity below 0.990.

Great job bovinewines and it was nice to meet you today at the store...see you Saturday night.

Joseph, could you imagine a wine that dry, it would probably cave in your taste buds!

I just stabilized/degassed my WE French Merlot. SG measured at 0.990 at 70 degrees, so probably .992 temp adjusted.

Nice and dry! The way I like it
smiley14.gif

Thats gonna be a great kit Trub. How much oak did it come with, 1 or 2 packs?

wade said:
Thats gonna be a great kit Trub. How much oak did it come with, 1 or 2 packs?

2 Packs of French Oak. They were chips rather than the usual
sawdust. First time i've used the chips. They smelled great.
smiley4.gif

I think this question may fit somewhere along the same lines...I have my World Vineyard Italian Pinot Grigio in secondary fermentation and it has been in there for 12 days. I checked the SG today and it was 0.995. I will check it tomorrow and see if I get the same reading. My question is that it seems to still be fermenting fairly rapidly. I am getting a bubble out of my airlock about every 10 seconds. Should almost all signs of fermentation be gone when moving to the stabilizing and clearing process? This kit took 12 days to get from 1.080 to 1.006 to transfer into the secondary which is a bit long I think.

I find in these cooler months all my wines take a little longer to ferment, trust your hydrometer readings above all else, it can still give off gas when all the sugar is converted to alcohol.

Latest posts

Back