GSM blend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevew1

Reaction score
I make all my wine from juice buckets. I am looking to make a GSM blend, Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre. However, Mourvedre is not available. I am looking for an appropriate substitute, my first thought was Malvasia. It starts with M and is usually a blending grape. I don't know the taste profiles for either. Does this seem OK or does anyone have another alternative?

I have a few Mouvedre vines on site. I use it as a blend as in a Rhone style - my grapes imparted a heavy mineral element, light fruit, and a little spice. In the Rhone valley they say it adds spice and meatiness or gamey quality to the wine. Other Rhone grapes that add depth to Grenache and Syrah are Cinsault, Carignan, Counoise, Terret Noir, Muscardin and Vaccarese.

I suspect you would not be able to find any of these either. Of course it depends on what you are trying to end up with, but if it were me I would look for something spicy to go with your blend. Maybe Zin, or Malbec.

Thank you. I'm was not sure about blending Italian varieties into a traditional French blend.

Latest posts

Back