Growing Norton in Louisiana

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heathrocksla

Growing Norton
Reaction score
Hey all...just found this site and wanted to run a few questions by...I have 5 Norton vines that I planted fall of 2009 so this is their second year of growth. I read that vines will usually produce enough around the 3rd or 4th year but let me just say that these vines are loaded down. I'll take a pic later because it's pouring down rain now. Every vine is loaded down with clusters and I honestly can't see how they could have more on them.

My question...the vines have large clusters all over them and now, the shoots are acting like they're starting over....as in...they are making brand new little clusters of grapes....and a lot of them. Do I need to cut these off so the vines will focus on finishing the clusters that are already there?

Thanks.....Heath

There are some knowledgable folks on here who grow grapes, some as a profession. I know that the fewer clusters you have the larger/juicier they will be.

You can only provide so much nutrients and water to a vine so all those extra shoots are competing for food.

I have 5 grape vines in my back yard and I sacrificed the 1st 3 years to develop the trunk. I just looked earlier today and I have many and they are going to be big.

Mine are just for eating and grow up an arbor.

Post a few pics later and folks can advise you.

Thanks for the response....I've attached a pic....at the top is the new cluster and the bottom is the older, larger clusters.

IMO cut off all the new clusters and do some thinning of the other clusters, maybe thin out 1/3 of them. I would let the vines develop more of a root system before taking a full crop.

Show us the pics when you can.

Back