Grapes in the Desert

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oneo Teras

Junior
Reaction score
Grapes are ready for picking! Things move fast in the desert... Not enough to do anything this year. Only about 5 lbs. Maybe next year.

20080622_151205_IMG_7202.JPG

What kind of grapes do you have there? Are they table grapes or wine grapes. That's too funny....... Your grapes are ripe already and mine are just setting!

Oneo Teras,

Where are you? I'm in Yuma, AZ and it's hotter n blazes here. I planted two manuka vines and two red flame vines. The manuka's leaves have been drying up and browning for the past week, and now the red flame seem to be sagging as well. I water them with a drip line for 10 min twice a day, but it looks like the heat is just too much. What grapes do you have, and what are your daytime temps like there?

Ken

I don't know what kind they are as I did not plant them...
smiley5.gif
They came with the house when we bought a few years ago.

At the time we moved in they were spindley and wild and I have since set up posts and wire and tried to train them. They are seedless and very sweet. Much sweeter than regular table grapes; but, I really don't have any idea what variety.

I live in the Phoenix area and it is HOT right now... 110+ for the last week or more. It has been a cool spring (comparatively) and the grapes were probably ready to pick last week. They are on the shady side of the house and get watered 15 minutes on drip three times a week. Leaves are drying out a little bit now.
smiley10.gif

They sound very tasty. Maybe you could root some cuttings over winter and plant a few more next year. That way you would have plenty to eat. You would have to experiment if they would make good wine or not.

Thanks Oneo. I just planted these vines in April. They were potted when I bought them at a local nursery. A friend told me that Manuka tolerate the heat, but mine seem to be dying. I wonder if I'm watering them too much. I thought twice a day would be good until they get established. But I really don't know - I've never done this before. Just looking to get a feel for growing things. Sure is hard here in the desert.

Latest posts

Back