Grapefruit SP??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencepost

Reaction score
I am going to have a bumper crop of Ruby Red Grapefruits (hopefully not counting my "chickens" too early still hurricanes out there!)... would like to make a wine with it... I did some searching and there are a number of receipes (with varying results) but I was thinking of doing either a Skeeter Pee with grapefruit or Danger Daves using grapefruit instead of lemon juice... any guidance or comments on which maybe best? Thank you in advance for your input.

10-4. Checked it out... Seems like there are 4 recipes he has listed... from dry (2 recipes) to semi to sweet. Do you remember which one? or did the CRS get you? (as it does me!!) Thanks. I will go with one of those... patience may be the hardest "ingredient" to get!

The best wine I ever made in my life was a pink grapefruit wine. I've never been able to repeat that perfectly balanced unctuous satin on the tongue experience.

10-4. Checked it out... Seems like there are 4 recipes he has listed... from dry (2 recipes) to semi to sweet. Do you remember which one? or did the CRS get you? (as it does me!!) Thanks. I will go with one of those... patience may be the hardest "ingredient" to get!
I am away from my notes, but this is the one I had in my Google Drive notes. I'm sure I at least doubled it and made a six gallon batch of it. Google Drive is my answer to CRS, cause it can.

Grapefruit Wine from Fresh Fruit

Makes three gallon.

Ingredients:
For a medium body wine:
18 Grapefruits
18 pints Water (to three gallons plus)
6 -3/4 lbs. Sugar – about 1.090 SG
3 Campden Tablet, crushed
3/4 tsp. Tannin
1 pkg. Champagne Yeast

Keep your acid tester and hydrometer handy. As with all wild fruit the sugar and acid content varies greatly from year to year and even from one location to another. The recipe above is a general recipe to use which, you may have to adjust.

Directions:

Grate rind from 6 grapefruits; exclude any of the bitter white part.
Peel fruit and separate segments. Place fruit and grated rind in nylon straining bag.
Using the nylon straining bag (fine mesh) squeeze and strain juice into primary fermenter. Tie straining bag and put into primary fermenter.
Add warm water and all remaining ingredients, except yeast. Stir well.
Cover primary fermenter.
Wait 24 hours, then add yeast and re-cover primary fermenter.
Stir daily, check S.G. and press pulp lightly to aid extraction.
When S.G. reaches 1.040 (usually 3-5 days), strain juice from bag. Then siphon juice into glass container and attach airlock.
When S.G. reaches 1.000 (usually about 3 weeks), fermentation is complete. Siphon juice off sediment into clean glass container. Re-attach airlock.
To aid in clearing, siphon again in 2 months and again, if necessary, before bottling.
Allow the wine to age.

To sweeten this wine, at bottling, add 1/2 tsp. stabilizer. Then, add 1/4 to 1/2 lbs. of dissolved sugar per gallon.

Back