GRAPE WINE/FRUIT WINE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
I was browsing another Forum [sorry/searching mostly for recipes] and came across a topic that criticized fruit wines....Saying only Grape Wine is WINE...

Being a fruit wine maker I was kind of moved and felt very inadequate...some called fruit wines 'fruit Flavored Alcoholic Beverages'...or 'Fermented Adult Fruit Beverages'...other people said that Wine is made from fruit and grapes....

So....this Forum is a bit more open minded and not as opioninated...but still want to know..."What do you think?"

I always specify fruit being seperate from grape even though grapes are
fruits but must seperate so that I dont have to name each fuit used. I
know what your talking about though and used to go to other forums to
but they just turn me off.

Wow.... Besides a few kits, all I make is fruit wine... I'm thinking it's still wine.....

From Wikipedia
Wine
is an alcoholic beverage made from the fermentation of unmodified grape juice.<SUP id=_ref-0 ="reference">[1]</SUP> The natural chemical balance of grapes is such that they ferment completely without the addition of sugars, acids, enzymes or other nutrients.<SUP id=_ref-1 ="reference">[2]</SUP> Although other fruits like apples and berries can also be fermented, the resultant "wines" are normally named after the fruit (for example, apple wine or elderberry wine) and are generically known as fruit or country wine. Others, such as barley wine and rice wine (e.g. sake) are made from starch-based materials and resemble beer more than wine, while ginger wine is fortified with brandy. In these cases, the use of the term "wine" is a reference to the higher alcohol content, rather than production process.<SUP id=_ref-2 ="reference">[3]</SUP> The commercial use of the English word "wine" (and its equivalent in other languages) is protected by law in many jurisdictions.<SUP ="noprint Template-Fact">[citation needed]</SUP>

The word "wine" derives from the Proto-Germanic *winam, an early borrowing from the Latin vinum, "wine" or "(grape) vine", itself derived from the Proto-Indo-European stem *win-o- (cf. Ancient Greek οῖνος oînos).<SUP id=_ref-3 ="reference">[4]</SUP> Similar words for wine or grapes are found in the Semitic languages (cf. Arabic ﻭﻳﻦ wayn) and in Georgian (gvino), and the term is considered an ancient wanderwort.<SUP id=_ref-4 ="reference">[5]

So given that definition I would dare say there are damn few perople or even wineries that are making true wine as even the wineries are adding sugars, chemicals, etc. to their grapes. Just my 2 cents on the subject..Myself...I am making various types of wine !!!</SUP> Edited by: Waldo

You are right Waldo. I was under the impression that wineries were not
allowed to use sugar, that they had to stop fermentation early to get a
sweet wine but as I saw this weekend , 1 of the wineries had a lot of
big bags of sugar to either bring up the SG and or sweeten back their
product.

i also have been turned off by the attitude on a couple of other wine forums. This place is excellent for help withous someone laughing at the ignorance of the newbie.
The snobbery exiss in the motorcycle circles also.
Its a sign of needing ones self asteem built up.

Now back to making my fermented adult beverages.
smiley36.gif

Its a little bit of your soul, nurtured and with love putin a bottle, best when shared with friends ,old and new. Call it what you will.

Like I said in a previous post... You people are the bestest!!
smiley20.gif

NW,

Been a while since I've posted, but I think many people that post such nonsense as this are the same people that will pay big bucks for a wine for the prestege and not fot the enjoyment of the wine. If welch's wine is your preference, then you can have a great wine at a great price!

Personally, I think people are splitting hairs when they don't include fruit wine in the"wine category." Grapes were originally used almost exclusively for winemaking because they produce such a high sugar content naturally, they needednothing but crushings and a little time to make a reasonably high alcoholic beverage. Sugar was not plentiful, so other fruit were not used because the alcohol volume would be very low onthe fruit's natural sugar alone.

I say that if I make fruit wine then its wine.... if I make grape wine then its wine ... if the snobs dont like whatI call it then... then this Fine Wine is all MINE !!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. It leaves more for us "True Wine Lovers" You enjoy life more with an open mind
smiley4.gif

Some folks can be best described by this Chinese Proverb:

<H1 style="FONT-SIZE: 12px; MARGIN: 0px">“A closed mind is like a closed book; just a block of wood”</H1>

Now I have a better idea of what is "wine", at least at contemporary standards.

Latest posts

Back