Grape technology

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The things technology can do. I guess no more conveyor belts and Lucy's :)

JSWorthy: It is a fascinating article!

Early in the article it states". The process relies on optical technology that recognizes the colors of individual grapes. Different colors correspond to different amounts of sugar in the grapes, a basic criterion for their winemaking characteristics.

Help me get a grip here. As plants utilize a specific amount of the Electromagnetic Spectrum and we see visible ( in general from 380 violet - 700 red nanometers), is their research suggesting that their technology and obvious software can detect at what stage a specific variety of grape is associated with a specific color based on the color or wavelength that that type of grape produces at maturity?

Would that suggest that they would have had to take a number of grapes of one variety first to determine their ripeness and then use some statistical analysis to determine the range . They then would feed this into their technological marvel which would then do an analysis within certain confidence levels and presto-change-they now have a very precise parameter with very specific (color) readings?

In the famous words " Colonel Jessup from the movie, A few good men", I am just "spit balling here!" What do you think. Do you think I am on the right track or am I "derailing" here!

It is late and my brain is a bit fried but whaddya think?

Last edited:
Each grape variety would need their own preset parameters. Due to differences in color changes and physical characteristics.

I installed a line like these for a salad dressing company a few years ago. Coincidently it was also of German origin. They used it to scan labels. The high speed camera photographed the bottle and sent the picture to a computer. The computer scanned for rips, wrinkles, alignment, and others. If one were deemed defective an arm further down the line would shoot out at the appropriate time (timing being very important to insure the correct one was targeted) and knock the bottle right off the line. When the system was fully operational, bottles flew down the conveyor at a breath taking speed with a random "pop" every once in a while indicating one just got knocked off. It was a spectacular sight to see. You guys really have no idea how fast this whole process was taking place. Amazing.

Latest posts

Back