GRAPE SEEDLINGS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
We have a bunch of grape seedling growing out in the area of the garden that has straw mulch covering it. I usually pull them out, but last year left them.

Some friends have asked if I had any extra plants....would those produce grapes??? Don't know which variety they would be.

I'm pretty sure they would eventually produce grapes, but it is a crap shoot using seedlings. Research facilities know what varieties they breed and are lucky if one in 10000 seedlings has the potential they are after. Who wants to go through the trouble of growing grapes for several years not knowing what type of grape they will get. Even going to Lowes/Home Depot or whatever Mega Store would probably be better for them. You can buy vines for a few dollars apiece.

I wondered about that....A neighbor lady who use to give me grapes for helping her pick hers to make juice...graciously gave me a seedling she had growing where she would throw her seeds after making juice....

I watched it grow for a few years....took it along when we moved...and it never produced except single small berries....It had unusual leaves...so gave it to a girlfriend to grow on a fence...she can kill anything and succeeded with the seedling grape, which had a huge root mass by then.

Some varieties specify that they were a 'chance' seedling...with my luck they would be a dud. Think I will give these to my girlfriend to grow on her chain link fence along the lake...just for an interesting vine...some might make it.

Latest posts

Back