RJ Spagnols Grand Cru Pinot Gris

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xanxer82

Reaction score
Just started the Pinot Gris. SG was 1.090. Soaking the oak infusion bag as I type this.
Mixed vigorosly to incorporate the water/bentonite/fruit juice.
Temperature was at 70F. Waited about 15 mins then had Kat pitch the yeast since she really liked the Pinot Grigio we had the other night.
The must tasted very nice!
This may be the last kit I'll be able to buy for a while since my refund check is gone. I did make it stretch though. Paid off some hefty bills and got two wine kits and a beer kit and beer making equipment kit. So, I think I did well.
Anyway, I'll take some pictures and keep you guys updated.

Must have been a nice refund check! Good thing you decided on some items that keep on giving. Pics are good

Just stirred the wine a bit and it's going pretty good!
I feel like Pinot Grigio has more residual sugat than most wines. Should I keep a closer eye on the SG? I normally let a wine ferment as far as it wants. The yeast give out around SG .996 or so. There is no f pack with this kit.
The directions say to stabilize at .998 or lower.

And I always though PGs were a dry, crisp and fruity wine. I think the fruitness gives a sense of sweetness that really is not there. But I would let it ferment out and then after stabilizing decide if you want more sweetness. BTW, a long time ago I made this kit and it was very good. Even my dad who does not like dry wines loved this one.

xanxer82 said:
Just stirred the wine a bit and it's going pretty good!
I feel like Pinot Grigio has more residual sugat than most wines. Should I keep a closer eye on the SG? I normally let a wine ferment as far as it wants. The yeast give out around SG .996 or so. There is no f pack with this kit.
The directions say to stabilize at .998 or lower.
It's been a while since I made a Grand Cru kit (summer 2007), and longer since I made the Pinot Gris. I made quite a few GC kits when I ran an FoP from 2001 to 2007.

I would expect this kit to finish around .995, and not to drop any lower. That is true for all Grand Cru kits.

Steve

Latest posts

Back