WineXpert Good first kit? Red- Malbec or Shiraz preferably

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troezen

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new to the forums and to wine making and I've been hemming and hawing about which kit to make.

I'm new to the entire process, but I'm a crazy perfectionist so I've been reading a ton. I'm not daunted by the more expensive kits and I've been considering one of the Wine Expert higher-end kits.

I'd like to make a Malbec or a Shiraz (or a blend) preferably one with grape skins. My perfect kit would be "drinkable" in 3-4 months after bottling, but only just to enjoy a bottle or two of the creation. I wouldn't be adverse to letting the bulk of the bottles age for a year or two.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should start? Does anyone think I would be better off starting with a white instead? Since this is my first batch I'll obviously be anxious to taste the wine soon after making it, so something like a Gewurz may be better for me?

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions. If someone wants to suggest a non-WE kit that's fine as well. I just naturally gravitated in this direction after doing some reading.

Does anyone think it smarter for me to start out with a "value" kit instead of a premium for learning purposes?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or input!

Mr. T,

I would recommend this kit: WineExpert Selection International Chilean Malbec Shiraz w/ Grape Skins. I have not made this kit but I am making the Nero D'Avola from that same series and it is great. Secondly, I would recommend just about anything from the RJ Spagnols Winery Series. They are truly quality kits with skins.

I would not recommend starting with a "value" kit for your first try. A kit is just about fool proof if you follow directions and work with clean and sanitized equipment. It is just as easy to make an expensive kit as a "value" kit and the result will be much more desirable. I am speaking from direct experience.

Mr. T,

I would recommend this kit: WineExpert Selection International Chilean Malbec Shiraz w/ Grape Skins. I have not made this kit but I am making the Nero D'Avola from that same series and it is great. Secondly, I would recommend just about anything from the RJ Spagnols Winery Series. They are truly quality kits with skins.

I would not recommend starting with a "value" kit for your first try. A kit is just about fool proof if you follow directions and work with clean and sanitized equipment. It is just as easy to make an expensive kit as a "value" kit and the result will be much more desirable. I am speaking from direct experience.

Thanks Rocky. I actually looked at that very kit online the other day. Do you think that this kit would allow me to "taste test" a bottle or two after 3-4 months in the bottle and still be decent enough to drink? How do the RJ kits compare from a price perspective? Can you recommend any vendors for them online? I don't think my local shop had any RJ kits.

Mr. T, Let me tell you what I am doing. I have been making or helping in making wine in one way or another for more than 60 years. I just got back into the hobby this past January. Everything that I have made lately was made in 2011 and I have more than "tasted" the wine, I have drunk quite a bit of it. It is good, certainly "drinkable" and it will get better!

It is too early for me to compare the WE with RJS at this point. All I know is, every RJS kit I ever bought was great and so far, the WE kit is also great. As far as finding good pricing, look on line. I usually search for a sale on whatever I am seeking. If you are interested in the RJ Spagnols Winery Series, seach for that name with the words "sale" and see what you get. One caution, if you are buying on line, look at the total cost including shipping. This can vary from one supplier to another and where you live relative to the supplier.

Last edited:
Mr. T, Let me tell you what I am doing. I have been making or helping in making wine in one way or another for more than 60 years. I just got back into the hobby this past January. Everything that I have made lately was made in 2011 and I have more than "tasted" the wine, I have drunk quite a bit of it. It is good, certainly "drinkable" and it will get better!

It is too early for me to compare the WE with RJS at this point. All I know is, every RJS kit I ever bought was great and so far, the WE kit is also great. As far as finding good pricing, look on line. I usually search for a sale on whatever I am seeking. If you are interested in the RJ Spagnols Winery Series, seach for that name with the words "sale" and see what you get. One caution, if you are buying on line, look at the total cost including shipping. This can vary from one supplier to another and where you live relative to the supplier.

Thanks Rocky. I did look into these, they are the Cellar Classics Winery Series from RJ Spagnols, correct? I found one that's a french Grenache/Syrah which sounds awesome. I may try that in one of my second or third batches.

There is a local brew supply shop that sells RJ Spagnols which I found from their website store locator- it's a different one than the one I frequent but it should work just fine. I'm very picky about online retailers which is why I asked about a favorite vendor, though I'm sure most people buy locally when they can anyway.

You know, I never noticed the "Cellar Classic" on the box but I see it is there. Yes, I suppse the full name is RJ Spagnols Cellar Classic Winery Series.

As far as a favorite on line supplier, I like our sponsor "The Wine Makers Toy Store" in Carrolton, Texas. They are always very helpful and trustworthy though not necessarily the lowest price. I think you are saying and I agree, there is more to a purchase decision than price. In addition, they do run specials every month so you can get some really great buys. They do have the best shipping costs I have found, though.

Hello all, I'm new to the forums and to wine making and I've been hemming and hawing about which kit to make.

I'm new to the entire process, but I'm a crazy perfectionist so I've been reading a ton. I'm not daunted by the more expensive kits and I've been considering one of the Wine Expert higher-end kits.

I'd like to make a Malbec or a Shiraz (or a blend) preferably one with grape skins. My perfect kit would be "drinkable" in 3-4 months after bottling, but only just to enjoy a bottle or two of the creation. I wouldn't be adverse to letting the bulk of the bottles age for a year or two.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should start? Does anyone think I would be better off starting with a white instead? Since this is my first batch I'll obviously be anxious to taste the wine soon after making it, so something like a Gewurz may be better for me?

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions. If someone wants to suggest a non-WE kit that's fine as well. I just naturally gravitated in this direction after doing some reading.

Does anyone think it smarter for me to start out with a "value" kit instead of a premium for learning purposes?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or input!

If you purchase the premium kits or higher, you will not be disappointed. Look for at least 15L of juice. I have not made the ones you mentioned. Kits that I have done that contain malbec or Shiraz are WE Selections Australian Gernche-Shirah-Mouvedre and WE Selections Shiraz-Zinfandel. To be bottled at the end of Jan is a WE Selections Australian Cabernet-Shiraz and started in October was a WE Selections Argentine-Malbec. There have been numerous others in between and we enjoy them all.

Most of my wines are bulk aged and bottled around 7-9 months from start date. About 2/3 of each batch never even see a bottle. I use bags and have a dispenser (see my avitar) that sits on the book shelf. First bag is loaded at around 4 weeks after bottling date and a second bag at 8 weeks. We call it the wall of wine. The 12 actual bottles go on the shelf and are sampled starting in another 6 months or so. This works for us and our lack of storage. We do get to enjoy a few well aged bottles and that makes the wait worth while.

Cheers

If you purchase the premium kits or higher, you will not be disappointed. Look for at least 15L of juice. I have not made the ones you mentioned. Kits that I have done that contain malbec or Shiraz are WE Selections Australian Gernche-Shirah-Mouvedre and WE Selections Shiraz-Zinfandel. To be bottled at the end of Jan is a WE Selections Australian Cabernet-Shiraz and started in October was a WE Selections Argentine-Malbec. There have been numerous others in between and we enjoy them all.

Most of my wines are bulk aged and bottled around 7-9 months from start date. About 2/3 of each batch never even see a bottle. I use bags and have a dispenser (see my avitar) that sits on the book shelf. First bag is loaded at around 4 weeks after bottling date and a second bag at 8 weeks. We call it the wall of wine. The 12 actual bottles go on the shelf and are sampled starting in another 6 months or so. This works for us and our lack of storage. We do get to enjoy a few well aged bottles and that makes the wait worth while.

Cheers

Thanks for the info! I'm really looking forward to starting the process this weekend.

I chose to go with a "value" white (sav blanc) WE kit for my first try. It is so easy it is almost like cheating. I haven't made one yet but my next red wine kit will likely be from a 'superior' or similar WE kit. It seems if you follow the directions they are pretty fool-proof. Even with skins or oak or whatever else they put in the box, if you follow the directions it seems hard to go wrong. Only aspect about it that really had me thinking was the hydrometer reading. Make sure you mix really well when you add the ingredients to the primary fermenter and get a good SG reading to go off of. Everything later on is based from the initial SG reading.

One note, really the only reaon I went with a value white wine kit was the supposed shorter time frame from start to finish. sounds like you get better wine even from the lower end kits with a little added time so it really doesn't seem like much of a difference. Good things come to those who wait apparently so I will wait. :dg

My $.02 on the subject.

My favorite Chilean Merlot is a Selections International kit. It is quite drinkable at 3-4 months, I have even considered it fairly decent after 1. It is very good at 2 years (I have only 2 bottles of that!!) I think the rest of the Selection International kits should follow suit, but have not tried one yet.

I have some high end kits aging, and have sampled them along the way. They are improving a great deal, but I did not like any of them under 6 months.

I actually did a couple low end kits (Vino Europa). I would not suggest you go that direction unless you enjoy thin, weak wine. I ended up dumping the first one. The second one I added raisins to which helped a bit, but by then I was used to the better wine I all ready had made. I traded it to a friend for all the empties he could save for a year. He used it in wine punch and I got empties. Win/win!

I am tasting my Cheeky Monkey Shiraz as a fresh wine right now, and have had the Merlot from a friend which i liked also.

When I get my friends started on wine making I give them this advise. Make a Cheeky Monkey, Mist, or Selections International first so you have something to drink. Then make a higher end kit with skins if you want and put it all away for at least 6 months before even tasting. If they like the first kit, I suggest that they go buy two more and make them right away so that they can get some aged. It took me 2 years to actually be able to save a few bottles to any age at all. Of course, how much wine you drink and your budget are the final factors.

The only reason I suggest these brands is because that is what I can get locally. Have fun and Enjoy!!

Last edited:
My $.02 on the subject.

My favorite Chilean Merlot is a Selections International kit. It is quite drinkable at 3-4 months, I have even considered it fairly decent after 1. It is very good at 2 years (I have only 2 bottles of that!!) I think the rest of the Selection International kits should follow suit, but have not tried one yet.

I have some high end kits aging, and have sampled them along the way. They are improving a great deal, but I did not like any of them under 6 months.

I actually did a couple low end kits (Vino Europa). I would not suggest you go that direction unless you enjoy thin, weak wine. I ended up dumping the first one. The second one I added raisins to which helped a bit, but by then I was used to the better wine I all ready had made. I traded it to a friend for all the empties he could save for a year. He used it in wine punch and I got empties. Win/win!

I am tasting my Cheeky Monkey Shiraz as a fresh wine right now, and have had the Merlot from a friend which i liked also.

When I get my friends started on wine making I give them this advise. Make a Cheeky Monkey, Mist, or Selections International first so you have something to drink. Then make a higher end kit with skins if you want and put it all away for at least 6 months before even tasting. If they like the first kit, I suggest that they go buy two more and make them right away so that they can get some aged. It took me 2 years to actually be able to save a few bottles to any age at all. Of course, how much wine you drink and your budget are the final factors.

The only reason I suggest these brands is because that is what I can get locally. Have fun and Enjoy!!

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up going with the Chilean Malbec/Shiraz with grape skins as I mentioned in another thread.

I'm not a huge Merlot fan, so I think the next red I'm going to do is the Selections Int. Argentine Malbec.

I do plan to do a Pinot Grigio for my next batch, however!

Latest posts

Back