Good deal on pears!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chasemandingo

Reaction score
So I just bought 42 lbs of pears for 5 dollars from the local orchard. They were culls but most were hard and suitable for making a cider or wine so i bought them of coarse! I have cut them up and soaked in kmeta solution to prevent browning and vacuum sealed all 42 lbs. They are now in the deep freeze awaiting the primary. Any advice for a pear noob? What is the highest ABV I can achieve without destroying the delicate pear taste? 12%? Also any recommendations on p.H. or tannin additions? I would like to hear from all those who have experience. I know Turok can give me an answer on the p.H. question. Cheers people and happy brewing!
P.S., The orchard also makes great cider and I had to pick up 5 gallons of that as well!!!!

I'd try to keep the ABV at 12%. I have a batch recently completed that I pushed up to 15.75% ABV. The problem is exactly as you stated it. It's very strong, but loses the pear flavor. I'm actually mixing it with another pear with an ABV of 5%. That's the only way I've found that I can get the flavor back. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Latest posts

Back