Good day to make wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer

Reaction score
Checking the thermometer these morning it was - 25 degrees with high of zero today.
Just down the road the report is -32.

It is a good day to stay inside and start a couple of batch's of wine . I have wild plums , black raspberries and rhubarb in the freezer from last summer. That should be enough to keep me busy today.
The cold weather is good for something!!

Way to look at the postitive farmer. Here it is the snow. It has snowed a couple inches or so a day for four days now. We are expecting another foot today tonight and tomorrow (all together). The temps have been moderate- from 15 to 35 degrees F.

Work on your wine supply while you can as long as it stays warm enough for that.

We had minus 22 this morning in Hayward. Got all the way up to minus 2 today! Dropping fast again this evening!!

Stay warm Barney, we had -26 this morning and didn't get above 0 today and already down to -18 so far tonight....You have another day of the cold stuff coming....Just a good day to stay inside and work on wines..
smiley4.gif

We had 16 inches of snow over Christmas.

We have one more really cold night coming tonight,but sorry to say the weather man said it is headed East so bundle up out there.

You can keep the cold and snow
Here in NJ it tropical compared to your temps it'sonly 19*

It was 36 this morning and I live in Florida. Please, please take back the cold!

Alright vcasey, send that 36 degree cold weather back up here please. This blizzard up here today sucks! At least it isn't snowing too heavy with the heavy wind. It could be worse. Right across the lake they got 26 inches so far- of course, probably all that blew over there from here!

I would love to send this weather back just as soon as someone sends back at least 40 more degrees! Good day for wine work if I could get to anything. The boys brought in the tomato plants and they are blocking the Amarone I wanted to bottle, and the supplies for pear spice mead I wanted to make. I may have to bake some cookies to console myself!

YES you can send that 36 degrees back north that's almost shirt sleeve weather

I started 4 batches of fruit wine and have 3 batches of grape wine to get at. Iwill have to wait a few days I ran out of primary buckets.
Next on the agenda is paper work I am really bad at keeping good records so that is what I need to work on and catch up on.

Really I don't mind the cold to much,it is better thenmoving snow.

I sure do mind the cold! I am a native Floridian and have not spent more then a few weeks in the snow. When it dips into the 60s I start complaining.
My son had no idea what the temps were and went outside wearing only a pair of shorts. Needless to say he was surprised! They are brewing a beer today (porter) and he is now dressed appropriately. Actually they are huddled around the burner trying to stay warm.
What wines did you start and what ones are up next?

The wines I started where 5 gallons wild plum, 5 gallons rhubarb, 2 gallons black raspberry and 2 gallons red raspberry.

The fisrt vines that I planted where in their third season this pastsummerso I pinched off most of clusters but I have enough Frontenac grapes for a 5 gallon batch and Frontenac Gris for 2 gallon batch. I also have wild grapes for two 5 gallon batches.

The grape wines will give me a chance to experiment a little so I will be ready for a full crop of grapes next year.

Back