From 1.090 to 0.990 in 9 days?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabernut

Junior
Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently on my first batch, a cabernet sauvignon kit from Wine Maker's Choice. I started on the 5th with a SG of 1.090 and temp has been steady 68-73deg. On the 5th day, I racked it into a carboy when the SG was 1.014. Today is day 9, and I checked thrice, it's already 0.990! According to my kit directions it should be at 1.000 5-10 days from the first racking.

Anyways, I'm wondering, is this unusual? I'm already at the "day 21" finishing/clearing phase at day 9. I've checked my hydrometer 3 times, I've even tasted some(of course) and its a bit bitter, but alcoholly!

Is there something I may have done right/wrong for it to finish so quick?

By the way, the yeast I'm using is Lalvin EC-1118

You can't go off number of days for a fermentation. A lot of variations can increase or decrease this time.

Always go by SG readings - 9 days isn't a bad fermentation time length.

You can't go off number of days for a fermentation. A lot of variations can increase or decrease this time.

Always go by SG readings - 9 days isn't a bad fermentation time length.

Yep. I've seen much faster than that. Also, slower than that too.

Lalvin 1116 and 1118 are pretty quick fermenters. 9 days is typical. The nice 68 degrees probably helped. We've had some batches go nuts and get up to 85 F!

Latest posts

Back