Fresh Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandman375

Junior
Reaction score
My Bother recently purchased 18 Gal of fresh Juice from a local vendor. The advise he got was to put in onto the demijohn and he would be all set….
Well he sample it and it was too sweet he likes a dry wine. I did a SG test and it was at 1.20 +/- I suggested to him to put it back into the buckets and add some yeast to restart the primary fermentation. Of the 3 buckets only one had any bubbling an only slight bubbling at that. The temperature of the must is in the low 60 degrees but I would expect that would be enough for the yeast to be active.
I was looking for any advice I could pass along…
Thanks
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
George

More imformation would be good...Starting SG. would be good and what yeast was used??
And I'm thinking you mean 1.020 on the SG. at present
Trying to restart a yeast would be better with a temp. in the low 70's
Also what kind of juice was it....
Hope we can help , but more information needed..

Bert –
He didn’t test it before he started so I do not have that answer and I the current SG is 1.2 so it is pretty sweet –
The yeast was Lalvin 1118
And it is a California Amarone

Having a present SG of 1.2 is not possible, that would be 1.200 and could only be made that high by dumping in a whole lot of sugar. It is possible that you are reading the wrong scale or like Bert says it is 1.020- and yes that would be very sweet. It needs to ferment more. A yeast starter made need to be done to get it going along with some yeast nutrient. Warmer temps are a must also- preferably about 70.

Yes -- I am sorry I miss read the scale.
Is there a particular yeast starter you would suggest?

and as always thanks to all

George

Do you have any Lalvin EC-1118 yeast. That is good for stuck fermentations. If not what do you have handy? Use the yeast and add it to1/2 cupwarm water or warmed wine (115F). Let the yeast grow well until it has an inch or so of foam on it (a few hours). You may then add a larger quantity of wine to it in a primary bucket say a quart and let that get going good. Keep increasing the amounts until you get all the wine going strong. Maybe keep it in the bucket for a day or until it drops to about 1.010 and put it back in the carboys or demijohn. It should then ferment to dry or close to it.

Good luck. Hope it finishes up nicely for you. If not you have a lot ow sweet wine for the ladies.

Red Star Premier Cuvee is practically the same and please do as above to finish this wine. Appleman, did you move back to Italy?
smiley36.gif

George, I see from your earlier post the must is in the low 60s and 1118 was used. I think you should warm the juice up to mid 70s and see what happens, it might take off.
If it's a true Amarone style the starting sg was way up there. If the fermentation has completely stopped she could be a beast to restart. Get it warmed up and apply applemans recommendation.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back