Free SO2 during MLF

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoffart

Rick
Reaction score
Ok, I have completed primary fermentation, pressed, frist racking after 24 hours, added MLF nutrient and added MLF bacteria.

Now 24 hours have passed and I see very little activity in one carboy and none in the other two. The wine temperature is 68 - 70 degrees.

I have a few questions;

Tonight I am going to test to see if there is any free SO2 left in the wine. To this point none has been added since the crush. What should be my target level? Not too much to stop MLF but enough to give some protection. I'm suspecting there is little or no Free SO2 at this point.

Is there always Malic acid present? If I see no activity in a week or so should I preform the chromatography test?

Now 24 hours have passed and I see very little activity in one carboy and none in the other two. The wine temperature is 68 - 70 degrees.

I have a few questions;

Tonight I am going to test to see if there is any free SO2 left in the wine. To this point none has been added since the crush. What should be my target level? Not too much to stop MLF but enough to give some protection. I'm suspecting there is little or no Free SO2 at this point.

Is there always Malic acid present? If I see no activity in a week or so should I preform the chromatography test?

You won't see much activity in secondary, as far as the air lock bubbling. use your hydrometer to tell when secondary is completed.

Don't add any SO2 until MLF is done. Check the specifications for the MLF bacteria you are using. It will tell you what the maximum SO2 level is. Also, it will tell you the optimum temperature (usually 68F), minimum PH (maybe about 3.1) and maximum ABV (usually 14%). These are very important. If your wine is out of these ranges, you may have to go with a special bacteria.

I think you should perform the Chrom. test right now to establish a baseline. Yes, malic acid is present, but without testing, you won't know what its level is, so you won't be able to determine if mlf is taking place or not, because you won't see anything visibly happening during a typical mlf; it just sort of sets there seemingly doing nothing.

During mlf, be sure to stir the wine twice a week, but try to not stir in anymore oxygen than possible, even though you will have some CO2 still to protect the wine from oxidation.

Finishing MLF Here

I'm just finishing up 6 weeks of MLF here. This was my first go at MLF and I had similar apprehensions. After a week or so I did notice some small bubbles forming. I stirred my lees up twice a week, and gave a small taste each time. I was using Cab Sauv grapes. At first you might say the wine was tart or bitter. As MLF progressed, there was a noticeable softerning of the taste. I just about ready to rack and add some k-meta, ending the MLF and protecting the wine.

Did you add any oak?

Best of luck,

Paul

Sounds like you have everything answered here. Just check your SO2 levels but if you didn't add any to begin with then there shouldn't be any. Just try and avoid any wide temp swings in the carboy during MLF. Try and keep the temp steady if possible and let it do its thing.

Yes, thanks

I also read the Morewine PDF on MLF. It confirms everything said here. It said no SO2 addition as well. They are all topped up.

All 3 now have some small bubbles in the neck. :r

Latest posts

Back