Free SO2-Bound so2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fygunes

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

The wine in barrel ant tank I used potassium metabisulfite in Wine Making.I made a test , get the result of free so2 level. I added SO2 again, but I retested and the SO2 levels were the same.

I suspected that all the SO2 is bound up due to aldyhyde formation(oxidation of alcohol), spoilage microorganisms or introduction of solids.

I checked the VA, but did not see any risk.

I am reluctant to keep adding the Metabisulfite for fear of over concentrating. Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

What should I do now in order to save the wine and unbind the so2 (for free so2)?

You can't "unbind" the bound SO2. You are correct when you say a portion of it binds to micro organisms--and oxygen, acetaldehyde, yeast, and sugars. The remainder remains as "free."

What is the PH of this wine and how much free SO2 do you have?

pH TA SG
3,62 5,18 991

The free SO2 is less than 5ppm. I am using aeration/oxidation method to determine free so2

How experienced are you at doing the aeration/oxidation test?

Things that stick out without knowing how much wine you and talking about and how much K-meta you have added so far are:

Are you sure you are using 0.01 normal Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) and not 0.1 normal?

Have you done this test on a known sample with correct results?

Are all your chemicals fresh?

My experience is the first time I add K-meta about 1/2 can bind after that the amount that becomes bound is a lot less each time I add it about 90 to 120 days. If you were at 5ppm and you added K-meta and it tested 5ppm again I'd suspect the test results. That is unless it was a large volume of wine and very little k-meta added.

Volatile acidity: 0,54
The wine volume:1350lt kept in 15hl tank. but I use generally nitrogen for removing oxygen from the top of the tank.

I began suspecting due to the borne-Microorganisms. I will rack the wine to a 11hl tank, and then the res will be taken to demijeans and barrels.

I am experienced in lab.

Do you suggest anyhing too?

Latest posts

Back