Found dead maggots in primary ferment?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guiness002

Junior
Reaction score
Well, my first attempt at wine making and I have found what look like small dead maggots in the fermenting bucket. I hand picked around 4 pounds of sloe, washed them, soaked them in boiling water overnight with campden tablet. Next day added the yeast and sugar. 3 days later, it all looks fine and is brewing away nicely. Apart from I have found a few small white/silver coloured bugs, about 8mm long. Are they maggots? If so, how did this happen? Could they have developed over the fermentation, or was they already present, as I never noticed them?

Im thinking now that I should just throw this batch away, as it has put me right off!

just a few wormies shouldn't be maggots...they come in large batches imo
there were spiders and spider webs in the chardonel i processed...still tastes good...maybe they're like worms in tequila:d

I too would be surprised if they were actual maggots as maggots would require there to be the presence of flies. Where there any flies?

Could be they're silverfish that found their way into your bucket - they like moist places - not sure what they might do, but if your wine looks and smells ok I wouldn't worry about it.

Just don't tell folks that you give your wine too that you found maggots or silverfish in it :)

u dont wanna know what was in the primaries that made all those bottles of wine you have drunk!!! just leave it in the bucket when u rack it youll b ok. if it creaps u out fish them out and chunk em. the alchohol will make things all beter !!

I'm sure there is a list floating around about how much "other stuff" is found in wine. From bees to bird poo and other not so tasty items...

I'm sure there is a list floating around about how much "other stuff" is found in wine. From bees to bird poo and other not so tasty items...

Yeah - especially if you harvesting from the vines or from fruit trees...

I dont know what Sloe is but lots of fruits like apples can have works in them. Ive seen a few in apple batchs before, nothing to worry about.

The USDA has a book that lists all the acceptable "Foreign Matter" that can be in food / drink and still be safe to consume. If you were to read it, you would never eat or drink anything ever again.

I know there are wines or brandy in some country that intentionally have some sort of larva in it for the flavors. Maggot cheese on the other hand is something I simply will not ever try, and I eat hog head cheese, pigs feet, cow tongue(langua)...Hope your wine turns out well.

I too would be surprised if they were actual maggots as maggots would require there to be the presence of flies. Where there any flies?

I wasnt aware of any flies. Also, at this time of year in England, there isnt many around anyway.

Latest posts

Back