Partial Cold Soak and Extended Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsbeckton

Reaction score
So I have about 8 batches of AG reds under my belt at this point and have found that the wines I did a 3-4 day cold soak have the best color so really like this (I also add enzymes). Problem is I am now doubling my batch size so no longer have cooler space for all of my must. I was thinking that I’d let 1/2 of my must start fermenting right away, and then cold soak the other half. Then, after 3-4 days I’d add the cold soak to the already fermenting must.

In my mind this doesn’t seem like a problem and would also give me the benefit of extending the fermentation time anyhow. Anyone else try something similar or see any issues?

If you stabilize each one to where you want it (pH, SG, etc… ) then I believe you are blending the differences between the two (color, extracted items from cold soak) when you add the second batch of cold soaked must to the first already under way. If there are differences between the two otherwise (pH, SG…), you’re blending those as well and may need to make further adjustments to your must once blended. It’s far easier to make any adjustments before they begin.

I think it’s a really neat experiment and would love to hear the outcome. On one hand thisnis like step feeding, as you’re increasing sugars to a must that has its own almost depleted, but you’re also adding volume The only thing I would consider doing is getting the temperatures close when you add, or you will shock your yeast. If you’re adding nutrients, you will have another load to consider. What yeast will you be using? Will the ferment be complete in 4-5 days? Take notes! Looking forward to how it goes…

I might worry about sticking your ferment. Why not pitch yeast in the cold soak, get it going and then add the cold soak to the first in small increments?

If you stabilize each one to where you want it (pH, SG, etc… ) then I believe you are blending the differences between the two (color, extracted items from cold soak) when you add the second batch of cold soaked must to the first already under way. If there are differences between the two otherwise (pH, SG…), you’re blending those as well and may need to make further adjustments to your must once blended. It’s far easier to make any adjustments before they begin.

I think it’s a really neat experiment and would love to hear the outcome. On one hand thisnis like step feeding, as you’re increasing sugars to a must that has its own almost depleted, but you’re also adding volume The only thing I would consider doing is getting the temperatures close when you add, or you will shock your yeast. If you’re adding nutrients, you will have another load to consider. What yeast will you be using? Will the ferment be complete in 4-5 days? Take notes! Looking forward to how it goes…
Yeah, I’d plan to bring the temp up on the cold soak before I added it to avoid any shock. As far as adjustments, I will make bulk adjustments (if needed) pre ferment as I really try to avoid any of that after ferment.

I’ll be using D80 and D254 in split fermenters.

Back