WineXpert Forgot to add extra Meta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SIXTO

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am at stage 4 in my estate Zin.. I forgot to add Pot. Meta. Would it be ok to open it up and add some and reclose? Will it hurt anything?

Cheers

As I dont have the instructions in front of me, what is stage 4,are
they bottled? if not adding rright before bottling is fine. If already
bottled and you plan on keeping them over a year than I recommend
uncorking and adding it, if you dont think they are going to last that
long then dont bother.

As Wade said adding the extra 1/4 tsp of K-meta for extended aging can be done anytime from now until you bottle. Opening up the carboy and adding and stirring gently will not hurt at all but don't feel like you have to do it right away and disturb the wine if it is settling before bottling.

If you added the K meta (ingredients included in the kit) at stage three(clarifying step) then it is not necessary to add at step four(polishing stage). Since I am "planning" to allow most of the bottles age at least 8-10 months (yeah right!!) I always add disolved K Meta to my bottling bucket as I am transferring from carboy to bottle bucket just before bottling. That way the filling of the bucket does a good job at slowly stirring in the K meta. I don't know at what point you can get too much K Meta, as I am one of those color-vision challenged individuals and it would be pointless to try to run the tests that are available (I am a chemistry major??), but when reading on mead making it talked about adding K Meta every 2-3 months while clearing and racking for up to a year.

Latest posts

Back