Food grade tube container for sanitizing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejiang

Reaction score
If there is such a container, that is long enough to take the spoon and siphons, food grade, can be sealed. Something like they use to store the map, but the material is better to be good plastic or glass. Such container would be perfect for kmeta sanitization.

Any thoughts?

PVC is a great idea. I'm going to try it. If you're storing it in a place that gets hot, consider CPVC. PVC does not have good SO2 resistance at higher temperatures.

Tony P.

Vacuum food sealing bags, the ones that come via "cut your own" length. These can be vacuum sealed or just sealed. Make them on the long side and each time you need to open you just trim as close to the seal as possible, sanitize bag, replace sanitized utensils and seal up until next use.
Can also find "poster tubes" these are typically made of heavy cardboard stock, but you can find the plastic variety (similar to what the hydrometers are shipped/stored in, but on a larger scale).
http://www.draftingsteals.com/poster-tubes-plastic.html

Last edited:
Good ideas.

If you don't come up with a solution, for spoons, hydrometers, siphons, ..etc., consider using a spray bottle of StarSan instead. It sanitizes on contact in about 30 seconds. Very safe; doesn't even have to be rinsed off, although I always do rinse it, myself.

Didn't Dan post pics a while back of a pvc tube he's been storing hydros or something in? I think he's been doing it long enough to give some insight into how well it holds up against so2.

Yeah he did - he got a toilet ring that mounts to the floor - attached the PVC to it with a lid so it is a free standing holder for those sort of things - pretty slick idea...

PVC pipe has excellent chemical resistance and can be used to store SO2 gas at over 100 degrees. CPVC piping (used for hot water) is also excellent at over 140 degrees. I think it's a great idea. With limited storage space, I'm going to make a few for spoons, siphons, hydrometer, and some other stuff.

Latest posts

Back