foil bottle caps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calvin

Reaction score
I've used the pvc shrink caps before but I was wondering if there was a foil option for us home wine makers?

by lack of response i'm going to assume pvc is our only option

Are you after the foil heat shrink caps? I buy mine from Brewers Coop in Auckland (NZ).

I don't see anything there to indicate that the shrink capsules have foil... How do I find these? ...Or is this just a spam link?

To be fair to ChateauDeAnne, no one yet has explicitly said "METAL foil." To me, a foil generally implies metal, but not necessarily. (In my work, we speak of "plastic foils" all the time.)

I, too, would love to find a source for metal-foil capsules. In fact, I wonder HOW the commercial bottlers manage that?

I believe that the word foil implies metal composition by definition but clarifying is good :D. Especially when our plastic shrink caps usually have a metal foil component on the end.

I'm going to dissect some metal foil capsules on some commercial bottles I'm de-labeling. Will report back if I learn anything.

I believe that the word foil implies metal composition by definition

I'll have to respectfully disagree. As I said, the word generally implies metal, but the word (which is derived from the word for "leaf") has been used to mean thin leaves of other materials since the 14th century. It has the same root as "folio."

And yes, I agree, clarifying is good.

Yes I was looking for the foil tops most commercially sold wine has.
Metal. I wonder how they do it. I've google searched a lot and couldn't find any other than the PVC type or the champaign metal foil caps

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Metal screw caps are nothing more then a metal capsule. It is put with heat as it goes through the bottling line. This is something we could all buy for about $80,000.00

80k? That's a lot for me. Who wants to go halfers?

Sent from my Q10 using Wine Making mobile app

Ok - there have been quite a few postings since my last visit. I was talking about the foil caps that you use a heat-gun (or hair dryer?) to shrink it. Last time I checked there was nothing plastic about them :), let me know if you want me to send you a photo

Ok - there have been quite a few postings since my last visit. I was talking about the foil caps that you use a heat-gun (or hair dryer?) to shrink it. Last time I checked there was nothing plastic about them :), let me know if you want me to send you a photo

Heat-shrink capsules are, indeed, plastic.

Just out of curiosity (and maybe being as frugal as I am) I decided to see how a pressed on tin foil "cap" would look on a bottle of wine. Not good at all I would say but maybe if the foil were colored it might look better. Here you go...

Tin Cap.jpg

Latest posts

Back