Foaming Airlock/ Crabapple

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redderthebetter

Reaction score
I racked to the jug this morning with 1.014<<1.03 last night. I had stallded it out on thursday. I started it in the garage but the tems dropped and stayed down enough to brief stall. I brought (snuck) it into the house and it sped up a bit. My wife makes me do the heavy fermenting outside. She got sick from other batches I did in the house.

I noticed that it is foaming into the airlock. I changed thew water and let the foam in the headspace go down, but it started up again. Should I take action? If so, what would you suggest? I'm pretty sure this will be short lived, maybe 24 hours or less.
20061022_130914_foaming_airlock.JPG

Directly behind and slightly right is a beer bottle full of the same wine, that is bubbling but not foaming.

My other projects in the shot are 2 jugs, 1 and 1/2 gallon of blackberry that is now two months into bulk aging.

The others are my first attempt at home brewing, Amber Ale.
And the last is two quarts of peach that are gong to be my top up bottles for a 5 gallon batch that will winter over in the garage.

Not in the picture is a Chardonnay kit that is in secondary getting the "buttery chard" technique. 12 bottles of that will be made into sparkling wine.

Happy days are ahead.
smiley10.gif

I;m not sure of this bubbling action. Hopefully someone else chimes in
on this one. I've never encountered this. Is this a picture before it
was transferred because I see alot of sediment on the bottom there.

Like your Amber Ale label on the big bottle.....very nice!!!
As for your foaming.....have had wine foam up into the air lock once....Don't you hate that????It stopped by the next day, but sure made a mess as it also over flowed onto the floor....Maybe we put the wine in the carboy too soon.....???
Will watch for replies from otheres....

I have a crabapple in the primary right now, and it's not foaming violently? The temp has taken a dive, so I'm assuming this is part of the reason. I'm running about 66 degrees. It's been int primary for 8 days, SG is 1.060.... I used Champ yeast???

My Crabapple started out at 1.092 and went to 1.014 in five days. That was with a cold weather slowdown. I too used champagne yeast. For my crab the fruit was plum sized and very hard and fragrant. I started with 5 pounds. Cut in two, used a melon baller to scoop the seeds and hard rind from center. I then put the fruit into a vacuum sealer bag with 1/2 cup sugar and froze it. When I thawed it, I had a starting syrup. I then crushed it with a plastic covered 2X2, bagged it and gave it an enzyme treatment in 1 gallon of fresh cider. I added two cups of sugar, using the GOTMEAD.com calculator(very useful and fairly accurate). Pitched yeast last monday morning and racked to secondary on sunday at 1.014. It stopped foaming the airlock yesterday not long after I made the original post.

if your crab is creaping along youmight move it to warmer climate or set it on a heating pad.

I did this 1 gal recipe in my five gal primary. The bag of crushed fruit and the liquid was to much for the 2 gal container thatI have been using.

Redd: I moved my primary to a warmer location, hopefully this will speed things up a little. I steamed my plum size crabapples, and ended up with enough juice to make a 3 gal batch. My must is a beautiful pink color how's yours look???

my apples were a light golden to greenish color at start. My must is the gold color you see in the pic. I have about 4 pounds of smaller gold colored apples in the freezer. They will be an over winter project.

I should have picked more, but I had never done a crabbie, so I thought I would try it first... I found some really big beautiful red apples....

Latest posts

Back