Fizzy Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbwenger

Reaction score
i ammaking a creshendokit andi was suppose to bottle last week, but it was fizzy... i racked it over at 0.980 sg a month ago, and the only thing i could think might have caused this is that i did not put all of the chitosin in because it was too full... i degassed w/ a whip before the clearing stage, too... any ideas on what to do to get the "fizzy" out ??... i racked to another carboy and whipped it for about 3 minutes (lots of foam) waited 2 hours and whipped it again for10 minutes (lots of foam again) and thought i'd let it set for another month. There was still some foam when I stopped whipping it, but not nearly as much...(i used a whip degasser, drill speed on low and medium)... i also dropped the temp from 70 degrees to 52 degrees (will any of this help?? or do i need to do something else???

Dropping the temp from 70 to 52 actually works against you due to the fact that a colder liquid allows more solubility of a gas which is C02 in this case.

Warm the batch back up to 70-75 degrees and keep stirring until you see no more foam. The energy of stirring is needed to force the gas out of solution. If the carboy is full you will need to remove some to another container so you can properly stir the wine.

You can not over stir the wine and the more vigorous the stirring the better degassing you will get. I have not used the wine whip but maybe it doesn't stir the same as a fizz-x or mix stir. I use a mix stir and always spin one direction and then the other many times! As noted in this post by Tim Vandergrift stirring will not introduce more oxygen into your wine and cause problems:
<DIV ="postcolor">"The vortex isn't an issue for introducing oxygen into the wine. However, if you've got a big swirly vortex, the wine is all traveling at the same rate, which means you're not really agitating it--you're not getting good de-gassing! If you do get a vortex, reverse the direction of your stirring and that will really agitate the wine." Edited by: masta

thanks a lot, i appreciate the help and feedback... will the wine ever completey 100% stop foaming/bubbling, or do you just try to get the majority of it out???

A still wine (as opposed to a sparkling one), when ready to bottle, MUST be just that...still. If it is not, you will not like cleaning up the invariable mess.

You should stir untilyou see no more foaming and let it rest and stir again just to make sure.

We are not talking about a sparkling wine or one that re-ferments in the bottle which will cause a mess. This is about dissolved C02 in the wine after it has fermented to dryness and stabilized.

Note on Crushendo kits: the ending SG will be slightly higher than most other kit wines due the amount of solids.

cb, you might also consider filtering. The mechanics of even a coarse filtering will also degas the wine. Bulk aging releases the CO2 very slowly over time, but you still need to make sure, and racking the next time will tell the tale. Does this help?

smiley25.gif

i have been whipping/degassing for 4 days, about half hour at a time (whip for 30-60 seconds, let the foam settle, whip again, until my drill battery dies, and usually do this 2-3 times a night... this seems excessively long, am i missing something here (???) temp is now at 66-68 degrees.

It does seem excessive. How much room do you have in the top of the carboy? You need to have enough room for the foam. If you only have 2-3 inches, take several cups of wine out of the carboy to give you some room to really stir it. As has been pointed out, you can not over stir. Don't worry about being gentle, just fire that drill up and let 'er rip.

One problem might be the battery. I have had much better luck with an electric drill than a battery powered one. Some of the battery ones just don't have enough power.

I agree. I use my 110 volt drill with my Fizz-X and it causes a vortex that reaches almost to the bottom of the carboy, then I reverse it and do it again. You might get good results with the square end of your paddle or spoon if you don't have a Fizz-X.

thanks... i think the power is fine, since it lasts half an hour and constantly creates foam, i have to stop every 30 seconds because there gets too much foam, but it sounds like i need to take more wine out... i had only taken half of a wine thief out (leaving 4-5 inches from the bong)... will try this, if it still continues, i'm callling black-n-decker for a plug in drill.... thanks guys

Latest posts

Back