Fish Farm Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I the only one who is "blessed with several varieties of thistle-like weeds that like to hide in a cluster of non thistle-like weeds so when you pull the non thistle-like weeds out, you get yourself a hand fill of their non friendly pointed little needles that are so small you can't see them in your hands and fingers? My right hand took a beating this morning!

But the vines young and old are lookin' gud!
smiley4.gif

The ones I hate are the stinging nettles. They like to get tangled up in the vine so you are forced to pull them- and then your hand burns for an hour after!

Oh man!!!! I'm so far behind on the weeds, I'm ahead for next year! My vineyard is a mess and I'm not sure I will ever catch up! The week plus of rain made them all go crazy! They are so bad I had trouble finding the babies to spray for Japanese beetles a few days ago! They had their way with the young vines especially but I only spotted a couple this morning so that's good.

I've been working on the weeds since 7 this morning and it's slow going. I spent time weed-eating around the oldest vines. They are staked and attached to wires and in good shape now. (They sure don't look like your trained ones tho, Appleman!!!)

I have so much more work to do out there!! Eek!!

I hear you Joan. I have been out pulling weeds this AM that I still hadn't finished with all the rain. It took me 2 hours to get90 feet done. I also clipped back growth so I don't run over it with the tractor. I am going out now to disk harrow the center of the rows on one side of the vineyar. I will then clip back the other side and probably tomorrow disk the other side. I am hoping that after a few more days of catch up work that I can start to weed and hoe the 4 rows of vines I planted last year.

The beetles are back again- and I will try to wait until the end of the weekend to spray. I don't like working in the vineyard right after I spray- not good for a person.

Latest posts

Back