RJ Spagnols First Try using R J Spagnols Vino Vida Merlot Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZR1Z06

Junior
Reaction score
This is my first attempt at wine making and I have been trying to follow the instructions step by step but still have questions. I started the Merlot on Oct 7 (SG was 1.085), I racked from primary fermenter into the carboy and added all chemicals (sulphite, potassium sorbate,kieselsol and chitosan) on Oct 20 (SG was .996). I racked and put back into carboy on Oct 30. My instructions say let wine stand until day 28, bottle and cork. The wine making shop sold me a bottle of Campden Tablets. The instructions do not address the use of the Camoden Tablets. When do I use them? How many tablets for the 6 gallon carboy? How many times should I rack? How long should I wait until I bottle? How long should I let age? HELP!!!!

This is my first attempt at wine making and I have been trying to follow the instructions step by step but still have questions. I started the Merlot on Oct 7 (SG was 1.085), I racked from primary fermenter into the carboy and added all chemicals (sulphite, potassium sorbate,kieselsol and chitosan) on Oct 20 (SG was .996). I racked and put back into carboy on Oct 30. My instructions say let wine stand until day 28, bottle and cork. The wine making shop sold me a bottle of Campden Tablets. The instructions do not address the use of the Camoden Tablets. When do I use them? How many tablets for the 6 gallon carboy? How many times should I rack? How long should I wait until I bottle? How long should I let age? HELP!!!!

Welcome to the forum.

Your kit came with all the chemicals necessary to make/complete the kit. Don't know why you bought the campden tablets unless you intend to use them in a sanitizing solution. It is best to buy powdered Kmeta for sanitizing solution.

However, some kits say that if you are not going to drink the wine for six months or more, you need to add more Kmeta (campden tablets). If yours says that, a week before you bottle, add one crushed tablet and stir in really well. If your kit doesn't call for this, don't worry about it.

Racking - You already added the clarifiers (kieselsol and chitosan). Let your wine set about 3 weeks, until it looks clean and clear. You can rack it then. Wait about 1 to 2 more months and rack it again; then bottle it if it is not cloudy.

Aging - Normally, your instructions or the place you bought it can tell you how long it needs aged before drinking. I don't know anything about your particular kit, but let it set in the bottle for about 6 months before you try it. At that point, if you like it, drink it. If not, let it age another 3 to 6 months and try it again.

I sold this kit when I ran a store. Most of my customers would be drinking this kit within days (if not hours) of bottling, and seemed pretty happy with the wine. Personally I would extend the time to bottling by a month, especially if not filtering the wine. Then wait at least a month before drinking. I would expect it to continue to get better over the 6-12 months, but I doubt that very many people who make this kit have any left after a year.

Steve

I have this same kit I started about two months ago. I still have mine in the carboy, clearing. mostly I'm just not in a hurry to bottle. The longer it ages the better it tastes. The last time I tasted, it still had a chemical taste. I'm thinking of adding black rasberry flavor before I bottle.

I've got this kit in the primary now, would love to hear how yours turned out.

I've got this kit in the primary now, would love to hear how yours turned out.

I bulk aged for an extra month and then bottled. it was a little sharp at first, but came around and is very good. 1 and a half cases gone.

I have this in the carboy as of last Sunday. I'm going to leave it in there for another month at least. Then rack to another carboy and let age for at least 3 months. This is only my second kit. Ill let you know how it turns out and look forward to hearing what people say.

QuinnyRI said:
I have this in the carboy as of last Sunday. I'm going to leave it in there for another month at least. Then rack to another carboy and let age for at least 3 months. This is only my second kit. Ill let you know how it turns out and look forward to hearing what people say.

image-3233238799.jpg

Here's a pic of the merlot in bulk and a Gewurtztraminer in bottles for aging. First two batches ever.

Looks good! Had some of the merlot the other day, definitely getting better. I thought I'd drink this stuff real quick, it's lasting surprisingly long good thing I went with the high quality corks.

Anyone ever aged this wine for any decent amount of time?

Latest posts

Back