First timer about to bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhenson

Junior
Reaction score
Well, we jumped in with a kit and it is time to bottle.

Checking for clarity yesterday and it looks great...taste is starting to be ther, but its got a long way to go! One thing i noticed at this stage is that the wine is like water in the glass - swirling it around, ther are no legs. I need to search on how/ when this happens.

But, before i bottle, i am hoping to make sure i dont mess this up!

Do i soak the corks in sanatizer, spray them, or just use them straight out of the unopened package?

Is ther any guidance on how to fill them with a plastic filler wand to get the correct volume?

Thanks for the help...we are so close to our first batch being done...cant wait to start the next...maybe a port.

Well, we jumped in with a kit and it is time to bottle.

Checking for clarity yesterday and it looks great...taste is starting to be ther, but its got a long way to go! One thing i noticed at this stage is that the wine is like water in the glass - swirling it around, ther are no legs. I need to search on how/ when this happens.

But, before i bottle, i am hoping to make sure i dont mess this up!

Do i soak the corks in sanatizer, spray them, or just use them straight out of the unopened package?

Is ther any guidance on how to fill them with a plastic filler wand to get the correct volume?

Thanks for the help...we are so close to our first batch being done...cant wait to start the next...maybe a port.

It always helps us help you better when you give us more details, like kit maker, kit name, and grape type.

before bottling, I would let the wine drop more sediment for at least 3 more weeks than the kit instructions say. Otherwise, you will end up with sediment in each bottle.

You can put the corks in a callender and pour Kmeta solution (3 tablespoons Kmeta per 1 gallon of water) over them if you want and let them drain mostly dry. Otherwise, don't wash them. If the cork enclosure has not been opened previously, you can use the corks without doing anything to them.

You won't mess things up, it is all just something you have to do a few times to get the hang of it, especially using the bottle wand. Just be quick to raise that wand to get the flow to stop. You might try filling a few bottles was just water until you get the hang of it. Set the bottle in a clean container so you can retrieve what runs over.

Kit wines tend to be thinner than their commercial counterparts. The better (more expensive) kit you make, the better the wine will be. Sometimes a little extra oak can give the wine a little better mouth-feel and body. For now, get a kit or two under your belt, then we can help you do some things that can give the wine more body.

(I was raised in Amarillo on the North side. Went to Palo Duro High.)

You ask a couple of different questions. Some corks come sanitized and, if so, should say on the package. Even if that's the case, I still suggest sanitizing to be certain. The easiest way is with a home-made corkidor. Take a covered bucket (such as your primary fermenter), place a jar or bowl of k-meta in the middle, and drop the corks around the bucket - between the bucket wall and the k-meta. As the k-meta evaporates, it gives off SO2 gas, which sanitizes the corks. My suggestion is to leave it a few days. You can put your siphon, hose, and bottler in, as well.

Don't place the corks directly in the k-meta because it sanitizes by vapor rather than direct contact. I also drop the corks in a solution of Star San for 1-2 minutes just before bottling to make the corks easier to insert, but that's not necessary.

Most fillers work the same way. (I suggest practicing with water siphoned into bottles to get some practice.) The filler has a valve on the tip. Get the siphon going, then press the filler tip onto the bottom of the bottle. This will get the wine flowing. When the bottle is full - to the top - lift the filler wand and the wine stops flowing. Lift the wand out of the bottle and the wine level should drop to the correct spot because the wand area is equal to the bottle head space. (FYI, some bottle fillers stop automatically.)

Tony P.

Put the bottles in a (sanitized) bucket and siphon into the bottles.....any spillage will go in the bucket, then pour the wine from the bucket into a bottle (or drink it). I don't have the wand but hear it works great.....

I'll second what's been said already. Put a gallon or so of water into a carboy and practice bottling. It's surprisingly simple, once you've done a few and I'm very happy with the consistency I get on fill level. A corkidor is a great idea. I have a raised colander (be sure to use a plastic one, not metal) that fits into my 3 gallon bucket. I just put several ounces of Kmeta in the bottom of the bucket and put my corks in the colander. I put the lid on, and leave the corks in while I sanitize bottles and get ready for the bottling. As was also mentioned, put your bottles into a bucket or plastic tub when filling them. That way, you catch the overflow, rather than sending it all over your floors. :D

You get overflow? That's why I always say bottle sober! :dg

I just set my bottles on a newspaper and the few drips get caught that way.

I just started this wine "hobby" in July and agree with Robie that being more patient will make a world of difference. I bottled my first the the day the instructions said it was ok and ended up re-opening all the bottles, straining and re-bottling because of all the sediment. They've still got some sediment but I'm just living with it. My second kit is staying in a carboy for at least 2 additional months before I bottle. I can tell you it gets easier on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th batch to be more patient.
Mike

You get overflow? That's why I always say bottle sober! :dg

I just set my bottles on a newspaper and the few drips get caught that way.

Sorry Jim. I should have said "wayward drops". :D

It's hard to overflow with the bottling wand, unless you're just not paying attention.

Sorry Jim. I should have said "wayward drops". :D

It's hard to overflow with the bottling wand, unless you're just not paying attention.

It wasn't so hard for me... Ugh!

I'll tell you what is really nice is the allinonepump bottling attachment.
I used to waste as much as a half bottle each time I tried to bottle 30 bottles. With this bottling attachment, I've yet to spill even a teaspoon and that is only if you accumulate the occasional drips when I go from one bottle to another.

The other thing is how each bottle ends up at the very same level of wine. No more having to take some out of one bottle and moving it into another. A piece of cake!!!!

Wow - thanks for all of the great advice and ideas - the how to with corks is great advice, but even pointing out simple options like working out bottling with water...yep, makes sense...but I hadn't thought of it, so thanks again.

If I am going to wait on bottling, I do wonder if I need to rack and/or add more stabilizer to the mix.

Okay, sorry for the lack of details - here is where I am:

Kit: Vinters Reserve World Vineyard Collection French Cabernet Sauvignon
Start date: 8/19/12
OG: 1.070 - followed instructions here, which included 10g Bentonite, 60 g French Oak, and 1 packet of red star premier cuvee yeast

8/25/12 (6 days): SG: 1.022 - Racked (sanitized carboy w/ iodopher - is this okay in wine making?)

9/9/12 (21 days): SG: 0.992 - Degassed (with a plastic whip/drill - vacuum pump still on my wish list) and added:

• 5.5 gm potassium sorbate
  • 4 gm potassium metabisulphite
  • 150 ml chitosan for clarrification
Now sitting at day 37 - the wine is clear - but if it tastes like this in the bottle, it isn't really very good - it seems like it is still aging - and again - when looking at it in the glass - there is no body - no legs - maybe that comes later.

So, if I am departing from instructions now - should I rack it to get it off the sediment? Should I add more potassium sorbate or potassium metabisulphite?

I've read so much, I'm beginning to forget...I think the sorbate is to kill they yeast off, so I think no on that one, an that the meta- is really the thing that keeps things safe - but not sure how to proceed.

Thanks again for the help, I hope to be up to speed my self some day soon!

Waiting to bottle makes some sense, so I wouldn't do anything now. WE kits include a little extra k-meta so it depends on how long you expect to wait. Basic rule of thumb, add 1/4 tsp of k-meta every 3-4 months. Note, though, WE recommends max aging of 1 year for your kit so for this kit I'd wait a month bottle and start drinking 1-3 months later.
Tony P.

I use Iodophor frequently. No problems yet.

When you added chitosan, was there a packet of kieselsol (sp?) as well?

I think Tony's advice is good on the bulk aging for a month, then bottle aging for 1-3 (of course, you can be "testing" once a month or so during this time. :)

Last edited:
I use Iodophor frequently. No problems yet.

When you added chitosan, was there a packet of kieselsol (sp?) as well?

I think Tony's advice is good on the bulk aging for a month, then bottle aging for 1-3 (of course, you can be "testing" once a month or so during this time. :)

I haven't used Iodophor because I'm concerned about discoloration from the iodine. Have you seen any issues?
Tony P.

I haven't used Iodophor because I'm concerned about discoloration from the iodine. Have you seen any issues?
Tony P.

The only place I've had an issue is in my clear tubing. Any stains on the white buckets or spoons have come out easily - usually with just a hot water rinse.

Latest posts

Back