First time with grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I'm getting a bucket of frozen crushed cab Sav. I've only done kits before. If I want to oak this, do I add it during fermentation or can I just add cubes after say I do the MLF and rack it off the gross lees.....
Thx

I always add some oak chips during fermentation. IMO i think it helps the complexity and the character of the wine.

You can also add oak post MLF if you desire more oak in your wine.

I agree with Jon. Oak in the fermenter helps absorb some potential nasties, especially methoxy pyrazine (which is not likely to be a problem this season).

You can always add more oak after fermentation.

Thx for quick replies. All I have access to is cubes. How much would you say for a bucket yielding 3 gallons. 1/2 oz, 1 oz. I know it depends on my likes but what would be the norm. Don't want to over oak it.

Well my instructions say for red 2oz.

But I would go with 1 oz per gallon - just so you don't over oak - although 2oz for that period of time would be pretty quick exposure - so you might be ok with that amount as well.

I tend to shy on the lesser side - b/c i know i can always oak again....

Check "The Oak Thread." I have oak cube Dosages listed that I borrowed from MoreWine. Like these guys said, it will go alot longer if you add during fermentation.

Latest posts

Back