First time using Hydrometer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapecrusher

Reaction score
Just got my Italian juice. Sangiovese with a specific gravity of 1.050 and a cabernet with a specific gravity of 1.070 . Are these good numbers? Sugar content is 15 to 18%

They sound like they might have already started to ferment, I usually get 1.090 on any juice buckets that I buy.

They're a little low. The Sangiovese when dry will only produce about an 8 % alcohol. The cab is a bit low as well. I usually shoot for 1.084-1.090. I would add some simple syrup to bring them up a bit. 1 part warmed juice to 2 parts sugar. I would add about a 1/2 cup of sugar/syrup at a time, stirring well and then read SG after each addition so you don't over shoot.
It also depends on what alcohol level you were wanting though so this is just IMO

They sound like they might have already started to ferment, I usually get 1.090 on any juice buckets that I buy.

haha we must have been typing at the same time.

I agree it might have already started because they are low.

Just got my Italian juice. Sangiovese with a specific gravity of 1.050 and a cabernet with a specific gravity of 1.070 . Are these good numbers? Sugar content is 15 to 18%

I don't quite understand. You said you sg is 1.05 & 1.07 so where are you getting the sugar percentage from? The numbers are not matching up.

Latest posts

Back