First time Making Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your Right

Both Fermentation and MLF will RAISE pH, not lower it.

Mike, Your correct. I miss read in the More WineRed Red Wine Making Guide (section 2.3 B). They said you can reduce the TA by MLF, not reduce pH.

Thanks for the clearification!

Paul

Last edited:
Cab sav day 2

I've got a few pics to share.

When I did my afternoon punch down, with my home made punch down tool, I noticed the cap has really firmed up. In addition, I the must temperature is 73 degrees F. The juice is a deep lovely purple.

Sept 26-2011 (house pics)-2-1.jpg

Sept 26-2011 (house pics)-3-1.jpg

Mike, Your correct. I miss read in the More WineRed Red Wine Making Guide (section 2.3 B). They said you can reduce the TA by MLF, not reduce pH.

Thanks for the clearification!

Paul

When ph goes up ta goes down!

The type of press you get is dependent on the quantity of grapes that you want to process. For small quantities, a 30 liter ratchet press will suffice. They run around $375. If you are handy with woodworking, you can make one using a hydraulic lift. For maximum efficiency, and larger quantities, I would suggest a Bladder Press, which hooks up to your garden hose. Very efficient and fast.

Ok,

My source didn't have enough Merlot, but I was able to get just over 12 gallons of Cab sauv. The grapes were picked yesterday. The initial SG was a bit low with all the rain we've had, coming in at 22. I've bumped it up to 24.5. I'm relaxed about the TA/pH issue. I plan to get a pH meter later this week. Grapes from this field usually come in at a pH of 4.0. I've added .5 tsp/gal tataric for now and will adjust as time goes by. I'm using RC-212, which I added this morning. Thanks Mike for pointing out that MLF and fermentation both raise the pH.

This being my first go at red wine from grapes, I started 5 gallons of scuppernong Monday, I'm rather excited and happy to have the process under way. Next year I expect to be better prepared with equipment.

Special thanks to my vineyard and forum friends for their assitance and guidance.

Have a wonderful day!

Paul

Hi all, I just got my new pH meter in today. I'd like to update my Cab Sauv status. I started my 12 gallons of Cab Sauv back on the 24th of Sept when the grapes were harvested/crushed/in the primary. I fermented for 8 days until the SG was 1.000. I added White Labs ML bacteria into primary on day 7. I pressed the wine using colanders on day 8. Pressing went better than expected. Not having a real press was not a problem. I filled 1 six gallon and 1 3 gallon carboys. The next day, I racked off the gross lees. This left me with 1 six gallon carboy, 2 1 gallon jugs, and a .75 gallon jug. All have been kept under air lock. I believe MLF is moving along. I've noted small bubbles around the top of the wine.

I just tested the pH and I found it was 3.64. I was pleased to see it at this level as the starting pH was between 3.8 and 4.0. I've not got a current TA value. In another 3-4 weeks I'll be sending a sample off to the local university for a full profile.

I have two other wines going. I tested ther pH also. Here are the results.

Jalapeno Mint (Fire and Ice) 3.51
Scuppernog - 3.1

The Scuppernog was lower than I would have desired. The flavor isn't too sharp and the taste has mellowed somewhat over the past week.

I need to get a new TA kit. In addition to checking TA, are there any suggestions/comments.

I'm glad to finally have a descent pH meter. I'll not be flying in the dark on that perameter any longer.

Thanks,

Paul

Good deal, Paul. You are getting that experience factor for sure.

Latest posts

Back